Jump to content

West Coast Riders

Recommended Posts

East vs.West has been in battle for years, like which cost has develop the better riders? I guess it depends on who you talk to. Our west coast 230f has become divergent to our east coast 230f. West cost riders are starting to focus on their needs more than ever before. It appears west cost riders would be associated with the Big Boy 230f, and the East with the small Boy 230f. 

 

Open territory creates a need for bigger everything. More power, more suspension travel, larger handle bars, more distanced between foot peg and handle bar, beefed-up forks, and a longer wheel base. We're all aware of the reason behind the big wheel 150R. Now it's time have a Big BoyZ 230f. 

West cost riders, especially Texas, Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, and California should understand our needs differ, and our 230f  need a different set up according to our needs. For what it's worth...Open trails have never been smoother until I lengthen my wheel base to 55 and 1/4". My 230 is capable of doing whoops, where it wasn't earlier in its history. Anyone who has lived in California, know whoops isn't something that's easily avoided, and nor would one want to seeing how much fun they can be. Riding the whoops is liken to riding a roller coaster. Fun Fun Fun! Before modification to my stock wheel base, I avoided whoops. Today I embrace them!

I hope the discoveries has been a help.

Edited by The Plvis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big BoyZ 230f package should include the following:

1. 55 to 56 inch wheel base, with 150F's link for 1" lift....or CR85 shock

2. Beefed-up forks is a must, unless you want to die

3.Terry Miller or Frank Nye engine up grades. (more power is better for open work)

These are the must haves to create a Big BoyZ 230f. Big BoyZ 230 riders are those who want total control of their 230f in the whoops and open trails. Small BoyZ 230F's riders intent (usually)  isn't to overcome fast open rugged trails, so the need for Beefed-up forks can be bypassed. Small BoyZ 230's power demand shouldn't be as crucial, seeing he's likely to be a much smaller rider, or prefering woods, and technical trails. 

4. The Big BoyZ 230f should appeal to west coast, and a larger rider...not to say any of the aforementioned describe above is exclusive to any rider... just things to consider when building your 230f.

5. "We have the capabilites to rebuild it better than it was before... better, stronger, faster."

 

Edited by The Plvis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right....

East coast miles and miles of sand whoops , roots, rocks... Don't need Suspension... 

Plus tree lined half mile high sand hills with a 90 degree turn as a ramp at the base doesn't need any power to pull it off... Especially since once you leave the Viking genetic pool of the west and enter the lands of wood gnomes east of Oklahoma... Don't need power to pull us gnomes around... Plus Vikings have those heavy swords and shields to haul around too...

Definitely small boy stuff there....

From what I'm reading it looks like their are a couple items missing from the big boy model....

A flame pattern kevlar dew rag instead of a helmet....

And a pair of those rubber hanging old man sack testicles swinging from the rear fender to complete the ensamble....

5 hours ago, The Plvis said:

East vs.West has been in battle for years, like which cost has develop the better riders? I guess it depends on who you talk to. Our west coast 230f has become divergent to our east coast 230f. West cost riders are starting to focus on their needs more than ever before. It appears west cost riders would be associated with the Big Boy 230f, and the East with the small Boy 230f. 

 

Open territory creates a need for bigger everything. More power, more suspension travel, larger handle bars, more distanced between foot peg and handle bar, beefed-up forks, and a longer wheel base. We're all aware of the reason behind the big wheel 150R. Now it's time have a Big BoyZ 230f. 

West cost riders, especially Texas, Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, and California should understand our needs differ, and our 230f  need a different set up according to our needs. For what it's worth...Open trails have never been smoother until I lengthen my wheel base to 55 and 1/4". My 230 is capable of doing whoops, where it wasn't earlier in its history. Anyone who has lived in California, know whoops isn't something that's easily avoided, and nor would one want to seeing how much fun they can be. Riding the whoops is liken to riding a roller coaster. Fun Fun Fun! Before modification to my stock wheel base, I avoided whoops. Today I embrace them!

I hope the discoveries has been a help.

Just cause..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Plvis said:

Big BoyZ 230f package should include the following:

1. 55 to 56 inch wheel base, with 150F's link for 1" lift....or CR85 shock

2. Beefed-up forks is a must, unless you want to die

3.Terry Miller or Frank Nye engine up grades. (more power is better for open work)

These are the must haves to create a Big BoyZ 230f. Big BoyZ 230 riders are those who want total control of their 230f in the whoops and open trails. Small BoyZ 230F's riders intent (usually)  isn't to overcome fast open rugged trails, so the need for Beefed-up forks can be bypassed. Small BoyZ 230's power demand shouldn't be as crucial, seeing he's likely to be a much smaller rider, or prefering woods, and technical trails. 

4. The Big BoyZ 230f should appeal to west coast, and a larger rider...not to say any of the aforementioned describe above is exclusive to any rider... just things to consider when building your 230f.

5. "We have the capabilites to rebuild it better than it was before... better, stronger, faster."

 

Can't get enough...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, mixxer said:

Can't get enough...

 Did you read any part of the word USUALLY?...Obviously you're a Big Boy 230f rider. :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mixxer said:

Right....

East coast miles and miles of sand whoops , roots, rocks... Don't need Suspension... 

Plus tree lined half mile high sand hills with a 90 degree turn as a ramp at the base doesn't need any power to pull it off... Especially since once you leave the Viking genetic pool of the west and enter the lands of wood gnomes east of Oklahoma... Don't need power to pull us gnomes around... Plus Vikings have those heavy swords and shields to haul around too...

Definitely small boy stuff there....

From what I'm reading it looks like their are a couple items missing from the big boy model....

A flame pattern kevlar dew rag instead of a helmet. ...

And a pair of those rubber hanging old man sack testicles swinging from the rear fender to complete the ensamble....

Just cause..

I just spit coffee everywhere!!

laugh 2.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, VortecCPI said:

Steve...  You are one funny SOB!

it always cool to be able to make people laugh....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frickinjim killed his big boy 230f...hope you guys don't take his issue with proC funny.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, The Plvis said:

Frickinjim killed his big boy 230f...hope you guys don't take his issue with proC funny.

 

FJ killed his engine because he revved it way too high while sitting on a stand with zero load.  Even then we can't be sure something else wasn't in the equation.

Amazing...  Decades of racing before rev limiters were available to us common folk and few failures (zero in my case).  My all-out 1984 Al Baker XR265R, which revs to about infinity, is STILL alive with no rev limiter.  Thousands and thousands of old XR200s and XR250s out there with no rev limiters still alive today, not to mention thousands of countless other autos, bikes, and boats...

How about we take a poll right now of how many of you have lost engines due to a lack of a rev limiter over the past few decades?  In fact, how about we go all the way back to the 60s for those of you who have been around for a while.  Then let's turn that number into a percentage of the total.  My guess is we are well under 5%, perhaps under 1%.

  • Engines lost due to Procom while riding:  0
  • Engines lost due to Procom (maybe) while NOT riding:  1

Revving the guts out of your engine on a stand as if you are some sort of drag racer at a tree ready to leave the hole is something nobody should be doing.  Even when drag cars are sitting at the tree the rev limiters are set far lower than the shift points.

Sorry FJ...  I continue to disagree with your take on Procom...  I will NEVER remove mine unless it fails, in which case it will be replaced with another Procom...

Edited by VortecCPI
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, VortecCPI said:

FJ killed his engine because he revved it way too high while sitting on a stand with zero load.  Even then we can't be sure something else wasn't in the equation.

Amazing...  Decades of racing before rev limiters were available to us common folk and ZERO failures.  My all-out 1984 Al Baker XR265R, which revs to about infinity, is STILL alive with no rev limiter.  Thousands and thousands of old XR200s and XR250s out there with no rev limiters still alive today, not to mention thousands of countless other autos, bikes, and boats...

How about we take a poll right now of how many of you have lost engines due to a lack of a rev limiter over the past few decades?  In fact, how about we go all the way back to the 60s for those of you who have been around for a while.

Sorry FJ...  I continue to disagree with your take on Procom...  I will NEVER remove mine unless it fails, in which case it will be replaced with another Procom...

I've popped a few of these due to lack of rev limiters. I'll have to stand with FJ  

Screenshot 2016-10-29 at 7.01.50 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, The Plvis said:

I've popped a few of these due to lack of rev limiters. I'll have to stand with FJ  

Screenshot 2016-10-29 at 7.01.50 PM.png

Tires or GTO engines?  Please provide detailed circumstances...

Edited by VortecCPI

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI....

This thread was named something like BIG BOYZ 230 vs small boys 230

And the gist of it was big boyz we're the taller , faster, more in need of power and suspension west coast riders.

And everyone else were somehow small boyz ... Who are smaller in stature and don't need Suspension or power for the non serious riding they do...

Now the title of the thread has changed...

Just in case anyone wonders why I wrote what I did...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stevethe said:

IMG_3715.PNG

Love this!!

Buffalo Soldier!!!

I'm guessing this is one of you west coast riders on the way to get your gear on... ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stevethe said:

The pants won't fit the pants won't fit. :lol:

I always thought you guys ran like 6 gallon tanks ... Now I know it's actually size DD nut cups...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mixxer said:

FYI....

This thread was named something like BIG BOYZ 230 vs small boys 230

And the gist of it was big boyz we're the taller , faster, more in need of power and suspension west coast riders.

And everyone else were somehow small boyz ... Who are smaller in stature and don't need Suspension or power for the non serious riding they do...

Now the title of the thread has changed...

Just in case anyone wonders why I wrote what I did...

 

Screenshot 2017-04-24 at 9.06.50 AM.png

Edited by The Plvis
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I've popped a few of these due to lack of rev limiters. I'll have to stand with FJ  
58fdff8773b48_Screenshot2016-10-29at7_01_50PM.png.2418dd5e1626b92462f5a7d6f78feb9e.png

Pontiac engines have very long strokes. Blown many of them up trying to go fast. Then I spent a lot of money on new lunati crank, shotpeened rods and an internal balance and she stayed together. Without bottom end work the rev limiter would have to be set at 5500 rpm. After work she would bounce off of seven grand before shift without exploding.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×