Wr500 build thread

17889007_10158426282005262_531571628_n.png

I just picked this old beast up. Needs a transmission which I have on order, the sub frame was pretty screwed up, broken in 3 places, and it needs a lot of basic stuff, chain, rollers, seals, gaskets, plastics need repaired, exhaust repack, ect.... but it's all there and it runs good. My goal is a good, dependable trail bike. I don't believe in museum pieces and I'm not a good mx rider so I'm not worried about making it race ready or show quality. But I'm hoping it'll be a fun bike when it's together!

• Like 6

20170423_145746.jpg20170423_145753.jpg20170423_155732.jpg20170423_163734.jpg20170423_163729.jpg

Well I've got the sub frame straightened and boogered back together. Ive decided I'm taking the bike down to the frame for a quick and dirty paint job while I've got the motor out

• Like 4

That thing is trash. Just sell it to me and I'll dispose of it properly. 

just kidding. Awesome bike, I'll be watching this build. 

Well..... it's pretty close to trash in this condition haha.... but it'll be much better when I'm finished
  • Like 1

Cool bike...is that subframe damage from vibration fatigue?  Your poor fricken hands man! LOL

well I'm sure the vibration doesn't help but there are bent parts on it too so I'm pretty sure this bike has done a few endos haha.
  • Like 1

20170426_210111.jpg20170426_222058.jpg20170426_222102.jpg

Don't look boys! She's naked! So as I expected the list of unexpected parts grew but not as bad as they normally do. To me it looks like this bike has a lot of time on it but hasn't really been touched. I actually think this could be the first time this engine has been opened. It's been running pretty Rich for a while. And the exhaust has a good leak. As does the head gasket. There's play in the wrong direction in the wrist pin... I'll look closer when I get the engine torn down. But so far not too bad! Oh and everything is covered in sandy oil so most of the bearings and bushings in the suspension are shot...... such is life! Gotta have projects!

• Like 5

Ok guys, how do I get this sprocket off the crank? I might have to make a custom puller tool if you guys don't have any ideas 20170427_221250.jpg

Maybe a pulley puller?? I love restoring old bikes, keep it up and lotsa pics.. I'm sure chuck will chime In with a better solution for ya.

• Like 1

If you can get one either side and push evenly on either side you might get it moving, go really easy, those ribs in the casing look like they would break pretty easy, will only be a half strength attempt..

I don't think that normal puller will fit. So I might have to get creative. And I've tried a little but of prying but this case is super soft. It dents almost instantly so that's not going to work either :(

Yeah, time to get creative, have you got some thin pushbike cables that will fit in behind it? I've done that before..

So some old pushbike cables you can pull the cable out of the middle of, then get a long bolt with a nut and wrap and tie the cable around the back of the the cog and around the back of the nut and wind the bolt in to pull it out..
You get the mental image or do you want a drawing?

Have you tried a bit of heat?  I wouldn't think it should be stuck very hard once you break it free.  Maybe heat on the gear combined with some gentle percussion on the end of the shaft?

• Like 1

Have you tried a bit of heat?  I wouldn't think it should be stuck very hard once you break it free.  Maybe heat on the gear combined with some gentle percussion on the end of the shaft?

All good if you are replacing all of the seals as it will burn the oil seals on that shaft..
  • Like 1

Just now, Jackel79 said:

All good if you are replacing all of the seals as it will burn the oil seals on that shaft..

Yes - I made that assumption in my head but the coffee hasn't kicked in yet so the thought didn't make it to the keyboard...lol

• Like 1

Lol! All good, you are right though, a butane torch or map gas torch if you have one, being careful not to get it cherry red and remember the steel..

Sorry, re temper the steel..

• Like 1