Knobbies on 17s??

Fave around here are Shinko 244s, road squirmy when new (bias ply + tall knobs).   $100 a set, not for deep mud or sand.  Combo's are 3.10/4.60 or 4.60/5.10.

• Like 2

+1 to the 244s.  Great tires, better price.  I had them on my yamaha xt225 a while back and, and swear I was scraping pegs on the road.  They grip surprisingly well on the road and dirt/gravel, with not too much road noise.

• Like 1

Ya, the 244's are the ones to get . The 270's have the same pattern but howl bad on the street , I'm tired of them on one of my bikes.

I'll be putting 705's on my SM rims once the Pilots are done , if not before since I live on gravel and they're sketchy.

Edited by jjktmrider
  • Like 1

I heard Continental's TKC80s are not that bad either. And they conveniently have 120/70-17 fronts and 150/70-17 rears.

Planning to get a pair for my SM once my BT090's are used up, although I only just got those last year so wearing them down is gonna take a while.

• Like 1

Ya, the 244's are the ones to get . The 270's have the same pattern but howl bad on the street , I'm tired of them on one of my bikes.
I'll be putting 705's on my SM rims once the Pilots are done , if not before since I live on gravel and they're sketchy.

I have 705s on now. Super sketchy on gravel and just plain suck in the mud
  • Like 1

the 244 is a dualsport tire. it's ok, but you asked for knobbies. the irc ve33 and ve35 are knobbies. you won't believe the lugs on them, google it. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MotoReeka said:

I have 705's on one bike(150/18 & 110/19, so very wide wide) and another set on spare wheels as a street set for another bike , living on a gravel road they don't seem that bad , no worse than most other DS tires with better knobs, some are definitely better . Wouldn't ever think to try running them in mud ,they're a mostly street bias'd tire so it's to be expected, but for backroads and street I like them . If you plan to ride mud then a full knobbie is all that will work ok. D606 , T63 ect....

The VE33 I had on a XL was unbelievable in grip , they grabbed everywhere , really soft rubber and a little squirmy the few miles I rode them on the road, but they're not made for that.

Edited by jjktmrider

7 hours ago, MotoReeka said:

I ride 705's on everything so far except grass. Even snow. The rear is totally acceptable to me. The front on a 17" wheel really is not fun like MotoReeka said. I ride it like a GSA1200; almost never sitting down. I will add that around here, Reno Nevada, sandy soil and gravel roads are the norm. I want to try a knobby also but I'm nervous about the road characteristics. I may build a 19" or buy a 21". 17's are tough to find aggressive tires. Hopefully the scrambler class of bikes with help produce 17's in aggressive knobs.

I ride 705's on everything so far except grass. Even snow. The rear is totally acceptable to me. The front on a 17" wheel really is not fun like MotoReeka said. I ride it like a GSA1200; almost never sitting down. I will add that around here, Reno Nevada, sandy soil and gravel roads are the norm. I want to try a knobby also but I'm nervous about the road characteristics. I may build a 19" or buy a 21". 17's are tough to find aggressive tires. Hopefully the scrambler class of bikes with help produce 17's in aggressive knobs.

Yea..the front pushes and is scary in the mountains. Other than that, been pleased w the capabilities of the 705. I dont want to give up much street performance but also want to gain dirt traction.
Ive narrowed it down to the kenda 270 or shinko 244. Tkc80s are just too pricey in comparison.

There is also Kenda Big Blocks and Shinko 804/805 tires . I have a Big block on the front of my TE510 and it seems pretty good , but not a whole lot of miles so far and the rear isn't mounted yet to say how it'll be all around.

Ive concidered the shinko 804/805.
Ill be running them on my drz400sm