Jump to content

Engine Light on 2017 500

Recommended Posts

This may be a dumb question but does the engine light on the 17 500 serve as an overtemp light?  Mine has the euro flash and the engine light was occasionally coming on, but some water on the radiator fins seems to get it to go off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey im surprised to see that nobody has responded to this. So my bike is doing the same exact thing but has only shut off twice but both at relatively high speeds (55mph-70mph) and I am still trying to diagnose the problem of the engine light coming on, it shutting off, and also sometimes the engine light comes on and nothing happens. Have you found any other reason your engine light has come on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the engine light flashing or it just comes on?

if its flashing, have to count the pulses (long and short) and refer to service manual on the 17's, previous years it was in the owners manual.

 

Stemm ,Running high speed, if the motor dies 50 to 70 mph, I would expect the fi light to be on solid as a result, as to why its dieing  , is that while on the throttle or off?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Spud786 said:

Is the engine light flashing or it just comes on?

if its flashing, have to count the pulses (long and short) and refer to service manual on the 17's, previous years it was in the owners manual.

 

Stemm ,Running high speed, if the motor dies 50 to 70 mph, I would expect the fi light to be on solid as a result, as to why its dieing  , is that while on the throttle or off?

That is while on the throttle, then it coffs and I release and give it gas again and it dies. The first time the bike had the problem the fuel light and the engine light both came on, the 2nd time just the engine light came on. Then I took it around the city and freeway, once I got off the freeway of 6 miles of driving at 70mph, while sitting at a stop light the check engine light came on again but didn't run any differently. It's weird 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On both bikes Id, try the easiest thing first,  do a battery ecu ,reset. Disconnecting the positive battery cable for a few minutes.

while every time you start the bike it does an atmospheric check.  Disconnecting that battery kills everything and does a full reset, allow about 4 or 5 minutes before touching the throttle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Spud786 said:

On both bikes Id, try the easiest thing first,  do a battery ecu ,reset. Disconnecting the positive battery cable for a few minutes.

while every time you start the bike it does an atmospheric check.  Disconnecting that battery kills everything and does a full reset, allow about 4 or 5 minutes before touching the throttle.

Awesome sounds good! Thank you very much. Everything in absolute detail about what's been going on with the bike is in a forum called "2017 500EXC Somethings wrong" On this site. But I'll definitely give that a go! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stemmemx15 said:

Awesome sounds good! Thank you very much. Everything in absolute detail about what's been going on with the bike is in a forum called "2017 500EXC Somethings wrong" On this site. But I'll definitely give that a go! 

Also check ground cable where mounts to the frame, some have found them loose, even though the screw is tight..

Edited by Spud786
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Spud786 said:

Also check ground cable where mounts to the frame, some have found them loose.

I checked that and it was already tight but I tightened it to be sure, I checked the inline fuel filter, the fuel pump, the wiring under the head bib and the battery connections which were all good. The only thing that set the engine light off when I touched it was this thing. And every time I turned it upside down it shut the bike off, then I disconnected it from the bike and let it run a few minutes without it plugged in and the engine light flashed a few times, I plugged it back in, no more engine light. I don't even know what it is? 

IMG_1089.JPG

IMG_1092.JPG

IMG_1093.JPG

Edited by Stemmemx15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's your rollover sensor switch that kills the bike in a crash.  Needs to be oriented with the up arrow facing up (when the bike is upright). If not, that could definitely be your problem.  Could be bad also.

Edited by markbfe501

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, markbfe501 said:

That's your rollover sensor switch that kills the bike in a crash.  Needs to be oriented with the up arrow facing up (when the bike is upright). If not, that could definitely be your problem.

 

Just now, markbfe501 said:

That's your rollover sensor switch that kills the bike in a crash.  Needs to be oriented with the up arrow facing up (when the bike is upright). If not, that could definitely be your problem.

 it was set up correctly before I touched it but I took it off to see if it was the problem after touching it and it setting the engine light off, but I still don't know what it would be to make the bike be acting so strange. I put in a new fuel rail, I put in LED blinkers and an end cap plus desmogged it. But I don't know how any of those would make the bike run worse lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

moisture in your connections will cause lots of gremlins and I always remove the negative battery cable First ! for all power disconnection and safety.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

is your bike flashed with the EURO tune or another ECU?  if not, did you disconnect that plug (don't know the name of it) at the rear of the engine by the shock? My bike ran like crap when I unplugged mine.  IMG_4585.thumb.JPG.3c45b16d05558371d6c7d83d05488af4.JPG

IMG_4582.thumb.JPG.a024a6492a341d16437ac695e56ea8d5.JPG

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/11/2017 at 0:00 AM, Stemmemx15 said:

Hey im surprised to see that nobody has responded to this. So my bike is doing the same exact thing but has only shut off twice but both at relatively high speeds (55mph-70mph) and I am still trying to diagnose the problem of the engine light coming on, it shutting off, and also sometimes the engine light comes on and nothing happens. Have you found any other reason your engine light has come on?

I'm the OP on this thread and as far as I can tell the engine light on mine was due to an over temp situation.  It never boiled, but after dumping water on the radiators the light went off.   That was also sub 5hrs on the engine and it has not happened since.

Mine never shut down and was still running good when the engine light came on.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 17’ 501 throws a CEL solidly but after a key cycle it goes out. I’ve only noticed it come on when it’s idking for a while right before the cooling fan comes on 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×