Sign in to follow this  

Radiator fan not turning on

So I just recently got my timing chain replaced at a local shop and when I got it back I got stuck in traffic. The red light came on indicating that it was too hot. I understand that I can do a fan switch mod, but I don't want my bike all modded out with goofy switches everywhere. How do I go about diagnosing this problem? I will check for the obvious(loose connections, corroded wires) but is there are relay fuse for the fan? I never heard the fan cut on when I got it back. I've never had this problem before I took it to this shop that has had plenty of negative words spoken about it.

You need to do some diagnostic work.Could be as simple as low coolant,a leak at a hose,gasket or pump weep hole or you could have a lazy fan switch or bad fan motor or a wiring problem.

The fan works off the switch on the left radiator.When the coolant reaches a temp of around 212* the switch contacts close and the ground circuit to the fan is made and the fan turns on until the coolant temp drops and the switch opens again and so on.

• Like 1