Freeride 250 or X-trainer?

So I'm stuck trying to make a decision:

Height: 5' 5"

Weight: 150lbs

Experience: about 3 years riding trails

I ride primarily tight, technical single track. My current bike is a TTR 125L, with some BBR springs to make it a little happier with my weight, and 1" bar risers to make it more comfortable standing up. I ride slow for the most part, and focus on getting through tough sections standing on the pegs. The only reason I'm still riding the little TTR really is because I love how light it is, and that when the going gets tough, I can firmly plant both feet and paddle through a section, vs flopping into the stream or whatever on a bigger bike.

So I'm looking for opinions on the Freeride 250 vs the X-Trainer, hopefully from people who've ridden at least one of the two, if not both. I have a chance to test the X-Trainer but don't have the option to test ride the Freeride. I like the turning radius on my little TTR and how it almost feels like a trials bike (not that I know what that feels like, because I've never ridden one, just that I know I can go really slow, turn, get up over small logs, etc).

If you are doing anything more than trials oriented riding the xtrainer. The xtrainer crosses over to Enduro or light MX work. Have not ridden a freeride, but it is much more on the trials side...Hopping logs, climbing rock faces, etc. The xtrainer has a proper engine and transmission with power valve... I own an xtrainer. I think the freeride is a good idea but a very narrow target audience. The XT is a much better all around bike.

• Like 2

I haven't ridden either, but I do have a deposit down on an Xtrainer. I hope to have it by the end of next month. They're not easy to find. The closest dealer that didn't have deposits on all scheduled deliveries was 2.5 hours from my house. I don't know when you plan to buy but availability could be a factor if you choose the Beta

• Like 1

I haven't ridden either, but I do have a deposit down on an Xtrainer. I hope to have it by the end of next month. They're not easy to find. The closest dealer that didn't have deposits on all scheduled deliveries was 2.5 hours from my house. I don't know when you plan to buy but availability could be a factor if you choose the Beta

There's a reason they are hard to find and there is no resale market ;). Beta is making them as fast as they can.
  • Like 1

Going from a 4-stroke TTR125 to a 2-stroke, 300cc XTrainer would be a gigantic jump in power.  The XTrainer has the same motor as the 300 XC-W and it makes a ton of power.  I rode a XTrainer and it scared the hell out of me.  My current bike is a 250F.

It would seem the Freeride would be a much more suitable bike to step up from your 125.

48 minutes ago, CDNSXV said:

Going from a 4-stroke TTR125 to a 2-stroke, 300cc XTrainer would be a gigantic jump in power.  The XTrainer has the same motor as the 300 XC-W and it makes a ton of power.  I rode a XTrainer and it scared the hell out of me.  My current bike is a 250F.

It would seem the Freeride would be a much more suitable bike to step up from your 125.

I don't want to pick details, just to clarify:  The Xtrainer is the same basic engine and transmission as the Beta 300RR, which in the RR makes about the same power as the ktm 300 XC-W, maybe the Beta makes a little more down low and less up top... Beta makes very grunty trail oriented engines.  In the Xtrainer it has a different pipe and some minor changes (compression, ignition map, expansion chamber spacer on head).  All those changes combine to give the xtrainer slightly more off-idle torque but with a flatter top end, about 8-10 less HP than a 300RR.  The xtrainer is no toy, it has snappy 2-stroke power (compared to a 4-stroke), but it is way more calm than the 300rr / ktm 300's.  most guys add a G2 throttle tamer to help the on/off feeling.  

I guess it depends on how you look at stuff, you are still a little short for an x-trainer (to touch flat-footed).  If you are growing (you didn't mention your age) the xtrainer will suit you for years to come.  with the xtrainer the full 300cc power is yours with a pipe and minor work.  The freeride sounds fun to me, but with no power valve and a more trials based design it is more focused and has less long term growth potential. 

you didn't mention another bike, maybe a CRF230F?  The 250 4 stroke bikes are all tall, but engine wise they are good and remember that you can get lower seat foam and have the suspension shortened on a used CRF250x or wr250f and be ahead of the game.  

thanks everyone for your input so far. As for growing... I just turned 40, so I'll probably start shrinking soon. I've wanted a bike since I was 10... getting one at 36-37 fulfilled the dream, but leaves me wishing I had started riding sooner. I'd done a ton of mountain biking in my teens so at least some of that skill carried over. 

I don't seem myself ever racing enduros or mx. I just ride about once a week with guys who are better and faster than me, and do my best to keep up. I've talked to a local dealer who can get me an x-trainer in about 2 months if I put down a deposit. The thing about the x-trainer that I don't like, is that it's nearly 20lbs heavier than the freeride. I keep hearing that the freeride is more trials oriented, but that's kind of how I ride (at the moment, and probably for at least the next year or so). Yet, I watch videos and see people tackling terrain on their freeride at speeds I wouldn't think of any bike. Maybe they've sped up the videos?? ;)

As for the CRF230F, bah. A buddy has one that I've ridden quite a bit (when I break things on the TTR!). I can't say I like anything about it. It feels quite heavy compared to the TTR, the suspension feels... just... wrong. It lugs around just fine, but it's just not a fun ride. I've heard it called a "farm" bike, and I guess that's a pretty accurate description.

Not sure what u did since time has run but
Just got one..LOVE IT.
it will do just what u r asking.
I was a big motocross guy now 50 + with my son who likes wood trails deep steep....
I got him a xcw and me 2017 freeride.
Power yes. Climb all !light!! Electric start.
Pull front wheel up oh yea!
Great machine.
If you kick it up to its 6th gear you can hum over 60mph.
But it's real charm is going through and over the rough stuff at speeds even all other bikes will need to do it in If they can!

• Like 1

I ended up on a freeride. It's been amazing so far. It sounds like crap at low rpms but flick the throttle and it will boost you over anything in front of you. I thought it felt too tall the first few rides out but I got used to the height. I did get the lower seat from KTM and have the forks at somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd line. Technical trails I'm riding between 2nd and 3rd gear. It's fast enough for the type riding I do and always has that throttle pop where I need and want it. I haven't changed much from stock. A little less preload on the rear, went to the 48 pilot and 3rd clip on the needle.

• Like 1