'98 XR400R - HELP needed in making the right decision

As per the above link of my previous post, I need you guys to help convince me that I am making the correct decision. After going through the XR400 in detail, I have noticed the following items that need to get addressed.

Other then regular maintenance, I have so far found the following issues on the 400:
- Engine Kill switch missing.
- Headlight does not have a bulb and connector on it.
- Taillight missing.
- Broken Headlight Switch on left handle bar.
THE BIKE WILL NEED TO BE CHECKED OUT ELECTRONICALLY.
- Needs a new front brake line as the existing one has been patched.
- The decompression lever under the clutch lever is broken and needs to be replaced.
- Bend Shifter and Brake pedal (can both possibly be bend back to its original shape), may need replacements.
- Bend footpegs, will need to be replaced.
- Front forks are leaking, will need new fork seals.
- Possible leak on cylinder head which may require a new seal/gasket.
- Handlebar mileage Counter cable is missing.

As I had mentioned, I would get both bikes for 1500 bucks. I will definitely take the XR100, as it is clean and does not appear to be much neglected, but the 400 scares me a bit and I am wondering if it may become a money pit?

I am thinking of shopping for another bike for myself (The 100 will be for my son), or do you guys think it is worth the effort to address all these items (not knowing what else may come up) and still come out ahead?

Many thanks in advance.

Talk him down real low. Keep the xr100 part out the 400. As I'm finding out quickly these bikes aren't cheap to repair when they have been ridden hard and put away wet

1 minute ago, jjpete86 said:

Talk him down real low. Keep the xr100 part out the 400. As I'm finding out quickly these bikes aren't cheap to repair when they have been ridden hard and put away wet

I asked him to lower the price, but he is firm. Therefore my post.

If he would lower the price, I would consider taking on this project, but not for the price he is asking. The CFO (aka wife) will kill me!

Yeah I hear you there. If compare prices with other bikes. If your time is valued as free and you don't mind rebuilding then get it. If you want a turn key bike you can your son can enjoy together I'd get something else. If my son was old enough I think he'd enjoy rebuilding a bike with me

Don't invest in the 400..I bought a 97 with similar problems and it has consistently drained my bank account to keep going

If I were closer I would take the 400 off your hands in a heart beat for $750 or even $1000 - I have been searching for an XR400 project for a while. Ever get up Idaho/Montana way?

1 minute ago, 1972RedNeck said:

If I were closer I would take the 400 off your hands in a heart beat for $750 or even $1000 - I have been searching for an XR400 project for a while. Ever get up Idaho/Montana way?

Thanks for everyone's input, unfortunately there are certainly differences of opinion.

Nope, I do NEVER come up towards Idaho/Montana, sorry.

The 400 is still a good bike though I guess, yes? Should I just search for one with NO issues?

I would personally buy a junker and build it into exactly what I wanted. I did that with my current XR650R and love it.

2 minutes ago, 1972RedNeck said:

I would personally buy a junker and build it into exactly what I wanted. I did that with my current XR650R and love it.

Would you also do it if you had a son with a good running bike who wants to go out and ride? I would imagine most likely not.

I think in my case it makes more sense to get a bike in good operating condition,  that I can use without having to invest much time and/or money.

The deal was for me to get the two bikes plus a little bike trailer to haul behind my Yukon for 2K from my bud. I asked him today if he would consider 1500 for the deal, based on the condition of the 400 and he said he could not do it. (Even though the bikes have not been touched and have been sitting for 10 years).

At this point, I do not even know if the bike runs as we have not fired it up yet. How can I know there would not be any hidden defects along the way, costing me more money as pointed out by wag13458 above?

This is a hard topic to find a clear answer on , I have 4 xr400's that I have bought for an average of 1300 bucks, all of them had their issues  ( my avatar is my first one after the first season). They are tough bikes , they can be brought back from near death for not a lot of money if you do your own labor. If your not doing your own labor on it or any bike then dirt bike ridding may not be for you, I know you seem to be looking to be able to ride the day you get the bike with your son. The list of things you have posted up are all pretty easy fixes  with exception of the tear down to repair the possiable gasket problem, I think you could fix the issues you listed. You state this is a deal from a friend , whats is his story on the 400 the last time he rode it. Personaly i would get it as the deal for the two at 1500 is not a bad deal. Just my 2 cents

• Like 1

If you don't know or don't want to learn how to work on your own bikes then go buy something else. The deal is a good deal for someone like me. Maybe not for you.  You will expect to pay around $1800-$2500 for an XR400 in good condition ready to ride with no issues.

• Like 1

If you don't know or don't want to learn how to work on your own bikes then go buy something else. The deal is a good deal for someone like me. Maybe not for you.  You will expect to pay around $1800-$2500 for an XR400 in good condition ready to ride with no issues.

I've got $4000 into my XR400 at this point. But I wouldn't dream of having that $$$ in any other bike!!

I bought it for $1500, immediately put $1000 into it with tires, fork rebuilds, brake rotors n pads, bearings, odds n ends. I just sank another $1500 into it with rear shock rebuild, motor rebuild, and complete handlebar and lever upgrades. I do all the wrenching, I took the forks, shock, cylinder, and head off, and gave to my local shop to do the detail work. I've done the rest.

I have had other bikes, and I know I could have a newer bike for the money, but after all I have into this one, I anticipate it to be pretty maintenance free for 10+ years with my riding style. Couldn't say that with a titanium motor.
  • Like 1

I've got $4000 into my XR400 at this point. But I wouldn't dream of having that $$$ in any other bike!!

I bought it for $1500, immediately put $1000 into it with tires, fork rebuilds, brake rotors n pads, bearings, odds n ends. I just sank another $1500 into it with rear shock rebuild, motor rebuild, and complete handlebar and lever upgrades. I do all the wrenching, I took the forks, shock, cylinder, and head off, and gave to my local shop to do the detail work. I've done the rest.

I have had other bikes, and I know I could have a newer bike for the money, but after all I have into this one, I anticipate it to be pretty maintenance free for 10+ years with my riding style. Couldn't say that with a titanium motor.

Here's my pride!

IMG_2652.JPGIMG_2649.JPGIMG_2653.JPG
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Firestone said:

Yes it will go many years if you take care of  it! Great job.

i have as much in mine or more.. lost count.

skiatook17_3.jpg

Beautiful bikes indeed, but as mentioned earlier, the CFO will kill me if I put 4K into a bike.

• Like 1

It sounds to me like the little dude sitting on your shoulder is trying to tell you to pass on the 400 but you're not wanting to listen. It's in that kind of shape AND it's been sitting for 10 years AND you haven't heard it run. It may have been stored 10 years ago with a dead engine, having meant to get to it sometime but just never did.

Personally, I'd pass on it.

20 minutes ago, Trailryder42 said:

It sounds to me like the little dude sitting on your shoulder is trying to tell you to pass on the 400 but you're not wanting to listen. It's in that kind of shape AND it's been sitting for 10 years AND you haven't heard it run. It may have been stored 10 years ago with a dead engine, having meant to get to it sometime but just never did.

Personally, I'd pass on it.

Thanks very much.

Actually, it is quite the opposite, little dude on the shoulder is trying to convince me to buy it, but I do not want to listen. 

10 hours ago, JochenWoern said:

Thanks very much.

Actually, it is quite the opposite, little dude on the shoulder is trying to convince me to buy it, but I do not want to listen. 

Oh, I hate when that happens. When the little dude gets his role mixed up. He's not the one going to have to deal with all the consequences of the decision. LOL

• Like 1

I bet you could do the rebuild the whole thing for 1000 buck's maybe 1200. So will the cfo let u spend 2000 grand total?.