CR500AF builders: Where did you find your motor?

I am interested as well. Recently bought a tx300 so my CR may very well turn into a supermoto big bore. late 90's early 00 is your best bet for a motor i would think. I'm not familar with the big beasts but last years of production lead to more parts availability down the road you would hope

That engine is new, may be expensive, but not too bad. You can get claimed  low hour engine and who knows what you really get. If you price out these parts, it isn't cheap. If I pulled my engine out if my 14 ST, it would be close to that. 

Many buy completes and then gut them for the engine. Late model is best, but be forewarned, parts are drying up. 

Craigslist and 500 forums/groups.   Most people end up buying complete steelies off Craigslist and taking the engines for their AF builds then selling the roller.  I hate to see a good steelie stripped of its engine but then again I have scored some super cheap parts and rollers for my steelie.  You just have to b searching everyday, they can go quick.  No shortage of 500s in my area as hill climbing used to b super popular here and somewhat still is.  

• Like 2

same old thing , they are worth what ever some one will pay for one, its a gamble buying a motor off a shelf and less of a gamble pulling one from a running bike but again no guarantee. so if it takes you 2 tryes to get a good one you might as well have spent the few bucks more to get the all new one.

93+ motors have more top speed from the tranny having taller 4th and 5th gears, 88 - 92 are more of a CR (close ratio) because they were racing them back then. Other than that the stuff from 1990 and newer is basically the same.

AF builders like myself scour the planet for them which has driven the price up, that and now that many parts are NLA has driven the price up too. Then of course it's pretty common that 500 nut bags are hording them and have several bikes and motors tucked away 🙂

• Like 2