Front sprocket chain guard

Not sure of the correct term but when I went from a 14 tooth front sprocket to a 15 I had to clearance that guard in front of the sprocket to clear the chain. I beleive it's purpose is to keep the chain from breaking the case if the chain breaks. So now I need an aftermarket replacement. Anyone know the correct and perhaps recommend a better than stock replacement that fits withoud modification?

Thanks

7 minutes ago, HansLanda said:

I thought 15 was the stock front sprocket size for S and SM.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003O65O6M

http://www.ebay.com/itm/192162046146

I'm not sure either of those are it but maybe. The piece I'm talking about is between the case and the cover. It does two things, it has shafts that the cover bolt passes thru that stand the cover away from the case, also a piece of flat sheet metal cut in a semicircle is attached to the two standoffs and aligns with the centerline of the chain to keep it from jamming up if the chain breaks. If any of that makes sense. I looked for a picture but couldn't find one.

So, do you think either of those two options replaces that part under the cover?

• Like 1

He is looking for the case saver, not the guard (I think).

I had the same problem when I put a 15 teeth sprocket on my E (which has stock a 14)

Here the one for the model E, item 30, "chain guide":

https://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-dr-z400e-2003-k3-usa-e03-drz400e-dr-z400e_model33973/partslist/BLCK0011.html#results

Look for the same part in the list for the S-model, and order that one. (I don't have this list at hand).

Edited by Matje

55 minutes ago, Matje said:

I had the same problem when I put a 15 teeth sprocket on my E (which has stock a 14)

https://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-dr-z400e-2003-k3-usa-e03-drz400e-dr-z400e_model33973/partslist/BLCK0011.html#results

Look for the same part in the list for the S-model, and order that one. (I don't have this list at hand).

My understanding that it would serve both purposes.  I'm not sure I don't have one on my bike at the moment. 

Edited by samacart
typo

I was getting ready put a 15 tooth front sprocket on my DRZ 400E when I saw this thread.  I looked up the part numbers for my 2006 model and found they have different part numbers.

DRZ-E   30     27640-29F00   PLATE, FRONT CHAIN GUIDE

DRZ-S   30     27640-29F11   PLATE, FRONT CHAIN GUIDE

Thanks I wouldn't have known about fit issues until I was into it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Matje said:

Yes that's what I'm looking for but in a stronger design that fits a 15 tooth sprocket.

4 hours ago, samacart said:

My understanding that it would serve both purposes.  I'm not sure I don't have one on my bike at the moment. 

My understanding is that without that part, case saver, if the chain breaks it can jam up between the front sprocket and the case and crack the case. I’ve ridden for a long time and saw a chain break now and then when we were younger and broke but I’ve never seen it crack a case so I don’t know but I’d rather run one than not.

Here’s an example of what I’m talking about. One picture is the case saver, the other is both the case saver and the cover. Not quite as billet and bling as I was thinking but it looks like it would work. Says it fits DRZ 400 Year 2000+, it doesn’t say e or s model but says it would fit 14 or 15 tooth sprockets. Think this would fit? Any comments? Other options? Thanks again.

https://bboffroad.com.au/case-saver-suzuki-drz400-heavy-duty.html

suzuki-case-saver-drz400-1.jpg

suzuki-case-saver-drz-400.jpg

You need to run it. I could give you one of Eric's famous comparisons, but I'll spare you the gory details of broken cases, oil, and bar hogs.

Just buy the S case saver.

Don't forget, broken cases and herpies don't fix themselves!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BigRodney said:

Here’s an example of what I’m talking about. One picture is the case saver, the other is both the case saver and the cover. Not quite as billet and bling as I was thinking but it looks like it would work. Says it fits DRZ 400 Year 2000+, it doesn’t say e or s model but says it would fit 14 or 15 tooth sprockets. Think this would fit? Any comments? Other options? Thanks again.

https://bboffroad.com.au/case-saver-suzuki-drz400-heavy-duty.html

suzuki-case-saver-drz400-1.jpg

suzuki-case-saver-drz-400.jpg

Try this....

NewestbikepicsFeb2015012_zps9dd733e5.jpg

Topar Industries.....solid billet aluminum. Very clean, super strong and actually does the job.

• Like 2

^^^ Thanks for mentioning the Topar guard; hadn't heard of them but ordering one today!  :cool:

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 6:50 PM, Signman606 said:

Try this....

NewestbikepicsFeb2015012_zps9dd733e5.jpg

Topar Industries.....solid billet aluminum. Very clean, super strong and actually does the job.

Does that replace both the case saver and the sprocket cover? I looked at their website and it's difficult to tell. Thanks

Yep, it replaces both.  I asked the Topar folks themselves and they just replied a few minutes ago.

Yep, it replaces both.  I asked the Topar folks themselves and they just replied a few minutes ago.

No it does not they are mistaken. I have one and it retains the oem case saver under their guard. IMG_1493315459.445526.jpg

Huh  :huh:  OK, thanks for the clarification.  Apparently, I thought the stocker was all one part (hadn't looked under mine yet) but it's now obvious it's two.  BTW, that is one tricked out DRZ!  👍

Edited by drifteast
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, BigRodney said:

Does that replace both the case saver and the sprocket cover? I looked at their website and it's difficult to tell. Thanks

It utilizes the stock piece underneath, just like with the plastic OEM piece. This is however, machined from a solid billet of aluminum and is clean as hell........

Edited by Signman606
  • Like 2