Moving to higher elevation, what do I need to do?

I am living in Raleigh NC right now and have a 2012 Yamaha  YZ250f, I am moving to Reno, NV in a couple weeks.  Most of the riding I will be doing out there will be between 4,000ft -6,000ft.  What do I need to do and more specifically if it is a re jetting that I need can you help me with specifics.  I am new to this only started riding this past November but I want to learn.  I rode a 250 and 450 while I was out there visiting a few weeks ago and though they had good power they could hardly idle.  One of the guys I was riding with said this was due to re jetting the bikes incorrectly.  Thanks for any help.

Unless you are confident in your jetting ability, I suggest buying a JD Jet Kit. It lays out exactly what to put in for each elevation range. 

Its as close to plug and play as you can get. Then once it is in you can ride it and fine tune the jetting to your liking.

Also a good idea to keep a note book to record what set-ups you've used and how they performed. Makes dialing it in much easier, and if you need to come on here for help, the more info you can provide the more help you will get!!

Smart Carb or lectron are expensive, but worth while if you're going to be changing elevation a lot. 

59 minutes ago, Colorado^ said:

Smart Carb or lectron are expensive, but worth while if you're going to be changing elevation a lot. 

Not on a 4S

To the OP, your manual covers jetting for altitude. Chances are, just a smaller main by a couple of sizes and a fine adjust of the fuel screw will be fine.

On 4/25/2017 at 10:07 AM, freeriders98 said:

Unless you are confident in your jetting ability, I suggest buying a JD Jet Kit. It lays out exactly what to put in for each elevation range. 

Its as close to plug and play as you can get. Then once it is in you can ride it and fine tune the jetting to your liking.

Also a good idea to keep a note book to record what set-ups you've used and how they performed. Makes dialing it in much easier, and if you need to come on here for help, the more info you can provide the more help you will get!!

On 4/25/2017 at 10:07 AM, freeriders98 said:

Thank you for this info. I will definitely buy this kit after looking into it. Seems to be a good thing to have on hand. 

On 4/25/2017 at 0:57 PM, William1 said:

Not on a 4S

To the OP, your manual covers jetting for altitude. Chances are, just a smaller main by a couple of sizes and a fine adjust of the fuel screw will be fine.

Thank you.  Going to get the JD jetting kit. Also I watched several videos on the fuel screw adjustments and how to gauge where that needs to be. Thanks for pointing me in that direction. 

On 4/25/2017 at 2:48 PM, Krannie McKranface said:

If you are jetted stock, you should be fine.

A small adjustment to the fuel screw should be all you need.

Thank you. I'm going to start there. I am going to get the JD jetting kit and if it requires it then I can go that route but I think starting off with just the fuel screw adjustments and seeing how the bike runs will be the easiest option.