Rekluse? Love em' or hate em'?

Hey guys,

I've been told a few times now that a rekluse would be a life changing addition to my 17' 250 XCW. We ride almost exclusively tight single track here in SW Ontario Canada. They say it's less fatiguing, more traction, less to worry about.

I was wondering if anyone could share some insight. Have you installed one on your 2 stroke?

Thanks,

I think they are a luxury not a necessity.
Biggest issue is no engine lock up if stalled
on a hill but a rear hand break solves that.
I've had two and one is in my current scoot, 13 250xcw
I've been riding for 35 years so clutch control isn't an issue for me but a buddy who's just starting bought one against my best pleading for him to learn how to use the clutch first.
It's made riding more enjoyable for him but at the expense of not knowing a very important function of his bike.

29 minutes ago, lhc450 said:

I think they are a luxury not a necessity.
Biggest issue is no engine lock up if stalled
on a hill but a rear hand break solves that.
I've had two and one is in my current scoot, 13 250xcw
I've been riding for 35 years so clutch control isn't an issue for me but a buddy who's just starting bought one against my best pleading for him to learn how to use the clutch first.
It's made riding more enjoyable for him but at the expense of not knowing a very important function of his bike.

Hmmmm, could we argue that long travel suspension, disc brakes, e-start, 6spds, translucent fuel tanks, lights and such are all luxuries too... 

• Like 4

Hmmmm, could we argue that long travel suspension, disc brakes, e-start, 6spds, translucent fuel tanks, lights and such are all luxuries too... 

When a Rekluse comes stock on a bike I'll call your argument valid.
  • Like 3

Years ago, I started out on a 2 stroke, then moved to a 4 stroke in 2000 and rode it for 13 years. 2013 bought another 2 stroke, a KTM300. OMG the thing is the bomb. Then I put a Rekluse in it. OMG again. I totally credit my making it thru 5 miles of Hell to the Rekluse.

The Rekluse allows this 60 year ol fart to keep riding the cool technical stuff that I've always loved. Love it. Would drop another $900 for it in a heartbeat.

Edited by Trailryder42
  • Like 3

My 2017 250 XC-W came with a Rekluse (KTM Canada Whistler dealer demo unit) and it's alright. 90 percent of the time I don't notice that's it's even there, 5 percent of the time I hate it, and the other 5 percent of the time I love it.

While I sit here all fresh and full of energy it's hard to say that I recommend one. The 5% of the time that I love it comes towards the end of a brutal and exhausting day. At that time, I'd pay double the asking price. Life altering? No, but if you can spare the cash they are a nice addition.

IMO - The best mod for the price for our tight/slick BC single track thus far was installing the green power valve spring. Second best mod was the 400 cam on a G2 throttle tamer.

• Like 1

If you do a search in the general forum, you will find 3,498 other threads discussing the same thing over and over, for the last 15 years.......

Joe

• Like 3

I found a 5hr used Core 3.0 EXP on eBay for $650 shipped.
Also, if you do decide to get one. Installation is a breeze.
IMG_4567.JPG
IMG_4563.JPG
IMG_4570.JPG
Their instructions and install video are top notch.

• Like 1

I swore I would never have one after riding an early one on my buds bike.  BUT several years later I tried one on my bike along with the lefty rear brake.  Love it..  Thing just pulls especially in the wrong gear.  And it seems like traction is improved.  Cn't live without it now.

No bike chugs longer at low rpm and is more forgiving with poor clutch management then a KTM 250/300 2 stroke. You don't see Graham Jarvis using an auto clutch do you? You should actually get out and learn the bike before making fundamental changes to how the bike works.

• Like 2

No bike chugs longer at low rpm and is more forgiving with poor clutch management then a KTM 250/300 2 stroke. You don't see Graham Jarvis using an auto clutch do you? You should actually get out and learn the bike before making fundamental changes to how the bike works.

Exactly why I believe them to be a luxury, not a necessity.

I have them on a couple bikes . The 2 area's I get the most benefit is going fast and very rooty trails. If I'm on a tight trail at race speeds I don't have to worry about grabbing the clutch if I'm braking hard. On the trails with lots of roots the bike is smoother.  I can run a gear high and the best way to describe it is I  float over them. The rear tire doesn't grab and jerk. It's hard to explain, all I know is I'm faster going over the junk trails with the rekluse. I have ridden with them and without enough to know I do get some good from them.

I almost did not buy one for my 17 250xc. After a couple of rides without it I felt the bike was really good as is. It had a good stall resistance and was very smooth. I was going to go without one . Then I said what the hell and bought one. They do spoil you.

I ended up getting the new Radius X they have. Works and feels like the 3.0 core but cost less and the install is a little easier. 

If you exclusively ride single track the rekluse will allow you to stay in 2nd gear in the tight areas.  Worry less about clutch modulation and shifting, more on the trial ahead.  I did not see the benefit of the rekluse until I followed two other guys with them on tight single track, I was much slower as I was shifting between 1st and 2nd.  They could pull 2nd out of a slow corner and carry more speed overall with much less work.

I have one on my 450. On a 4 stroke, I will say that its definitely worth it as they have a greater tendency to stall and can be jerky on the slow, technical stuff. On the 2 stroke, however, I haven't found that I need one or really even desire one (I have a 17 TX300). These bikes lug so low without dying, I really don't think you need one. The hydraulic MC for our clutches are so easy to modulate as well. I would rather take that $900 and have the suspension set up for me by a reputable tuner. I feel this would be money better spent, IMO.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies guys.

First let me say although I'm new to this 2 stroke, I've ridden 4 stroke dirt bikes for years and raced the regional and national super bike series (sport bikes) here in Ontario and Canada for 8 years. I'm not the best rider (miles from it) but I'm quite confident in my ability to work a clutch.

I sounds like majority of your think they're pretty wonderful. When you utilize its, it's a God sent. When you don't, it doesn't matter and you can ride the bike normally.

Our trails and so tight and twisty that I find myself clutching out of corners all over the place. It does get fatiguing. This is where I was thinking (and have been told) a Rekluse would make life a little easier

6 hours ago, quikcolin said:

Thanks for all the replies guys.

First let me say although I'm new to this 2 stroke, I've ridden 4 stroke dirt bikes for years and raced the regional and national super bike series (sport bikes) here in Ontario and Canada for 8 years. I'm not the best rider (miles from it) but I'm quite confident in my ability to work a clutch.

I sounds like majority of your think they're pretty wonderful. When you utilize its, it's a God sent. When you don't, it doesn't matter and you can ride the bike normally.

Our trails and so tight and twisty that I find myself clutching out of corners all over the place. It does get fatiguing. This is where I was thinking (and have been told) a Rekluse would make life a little easier

I say go ahead and spring for one. If you don't like it later, after giving it a chance, you'll be able to resell it in a heartbeat.

Edited by Trailryder42
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Trailryder42 said:

The Rekluse allows this 60 year ol fart to keep riding the cool technical stuff that I've always loved. Love it. Would drop another $900 for it in a heartbeat.

^ ^ ^  My story exactly....Add a LHRB and you've got a motorized mtn bike.

• Like 2

i have bought an EXP for my 250xc and send it back, couldn't stand it.   My 200 came with a Z start, took that off and sold it.  Tried all the tuning options, never got comfortable.   Obviously i am in the minority.  Rekluse has a 30 day no questions asked return policy, so it will only cost you shipping to try one.

I love mine on my 09 250 xc-w for the really tight, technical, slippery singletrack. I say it helps with traction. The only new thing I can add is that on the awesome, scary steep and challenging trails, I like having all fingers on the handlebars instead of one covering the clutch.

22 hours ago, zilla said:

I swore I would never have one after riding an early one on my buds bike.  BUT several years later I tried one on my bike along with the lefty rear brake.  Love it..  Thing just pulls especially in the wrong gear.  And it seems like traction is improved.  Cn't live without it now.

SAME story here ( about 12-13 years ago), LHRB came later.....and I might even like that contraption better!

Joe

• Like 2