Sign in to follow this  

First bike for 5'3" 100lb wife?

I would like to get the wife a small starter dirtbike in the next year to ride around the farm. She is an avid distance runner so is in shape but not big and strong. New to riding. What do you folks suggest?

Side note, we have 2 young kids, one will 4 next year and ready for a small bike. If the wife doesn't ride I'll save hers for the kids later.

You can pick up a used Honda XR100 cheap and they are great for small beginners - last forever too

Probably something like a DRZ125, TTR125 or the like.  There are not a lot of choices for those who are shorter of stature.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Hoosier-Daddy said:

Crf230

too heavy, too tall.. i think a small tired bike will be good to test the waters. 

Look at any of the 4 stroke trail bikes.  They come in two main sizes with either 17" front/14" rear or 19" front/16" rear.  Take a look at the Honda CRF100F (used to be XR100), Honda CRF125/CRF125L, Yamaha TT-R 125/TT-R 125 LE, Kawasaki KLX140/KLX140L and Suzuki DRZ-125/DRZ-125L.

My nearly 5' 5" daughter started on CRF100F and its a great starter bike.  No elec start on that bike but runs the larger 19"/16" wheels .without having the height of the other 125L models.  Most of these trail bikes mentioned above hold their value real well if you buy used.  Since the technology hasnt changed much, they can be resold pretty easily for nearly what you bought them for used (provided you buy in very good/excellent condition and keep them that way).  Most can be found in good condition because they dont get abused and prior owner may have bought for wife/kids and the riding experiment didnt work out.

As far as a hand me down bike for your kids, the size of those mentioned above probably wont work for them until they are about 10 yrs old or at least 4' 10" tall.  They also have clutches so the rider will need to learn how to use a clutch and a 5 speed transmission.

p.s.  the smaller the wheel, the easier it is to flip or tumble over any obstacles....hence the reason I typically suggest going with the largest possible wheel size.

Edited by SilvFx
  • Like 1