Midwest Technical places to ride

I just moved to Michigan from Colorado and I am looking for challenging places to ride.  Im ok with driving up to 10 hours for a weekend rip.  I am near Detroit and have ridden Evart, and Tomahawk trails although I am disappointed with the general sandy and no elevation changes.  Looking around while riding the trails I see great hill climbs and few challenging spots although the trails always go around these fun areas.  My question to everyone is where to ride either in the UP or say West Virginia, Kentucky/Tennessee areas??? Please Help

Berger, A good technical place to ride is the Red Bird Crest Trail in eastern Kentucky. Lots of rocky uphills and  down hills. You can ride for a couple days while not repeating any tracks. From there it's a hop over to West Virginia where you can spend a week on technical trails at the Hatfield McCoy trail system and not ride it all. Google them lots of video on the web. There are also lots of gps tracks available. I've been both places multiple times. I downloaded gps tracks and put em on my voyager to keep from getting lost. I'll be going in May.

• Like 1

I agree with the Redbird loop but we ride it in one day most of the time. All of the ST in Ohio is on private property or you need a local as a guide because it is hard to find. To pop in and out of Ohio IMO the best way would be to ride Enduros or Dual Sport rides. Some are 2 day events.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2017 at 10:42 PM, i4bikes said:

I agree with the Redbird loop but we ride it in one day most of the time. All of the ST in Ohio is on private property or you need a local as a guide because it is hard to find. To pop in and out of Ohio IMO the best way would be to ride Enduros or Dual Sport rides. Some are 2 day events.

All 154 miles? Or just the outside loop? Most people think there are only 54 mi. There's 154.

We just ride the loop that is marked in CCW direction. I have rode old sec. 1 and new 1 but not being local I have not explored all of the don't ask don't tell trail. I think we ride 70+ miles that we call the loop with a gas stop and lunch at the country store.

Edited by i4bikes

Hatfield McCoy in WVA has a few sections of very challenging single track.  Most of their trails are two track, and while some of those can be steep, most are not.

Perry State Forest in Ohio, about an hour East of Columbus.  It's an open riding area, meaning you are allowed to get off the trail and blaze your own trail.  There's enough elevation that you can find some challenging stuff.