Trump orders review of Bears Ears and other land grabs

By Americans, do you mean open up national monuments for mining and drilling? Federally owned land is mostly where we do what we like to do here. Political parties aside, when states are given responsibility of their public land they need to make a profit, which usually means selling then to corporate interests, and closing them to us.

• Like 1

Just now, colodirty said:

By Americans, do you mean open up national monuments for mining and drilling? Federally owned land is mostly where we do what we like to do here. Political parties aside, when states are given responsibility of their public land they need to make a profit, which usually means selling then to corporate interests, and closing them to us.

What on earth are you talking about?  This is federal, not state land.

Right, if he reverses the monument designation, your saying the end goal of his is to keep it public federal land?? Doubtful. Every Republican effort I've recently seen, has been to give federal protected land to the States, and then the stars want to sell it off. Have you seen something different?

Just now, colodirty said:
3 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Right, if he reverses the monument designation, your saying the end goal of his is to keep it public federal land?? Doubtful. Every Republican effort I've recently seen, has been to give federal protected land to the States, and then the stars want to sell it off. Have you seen something different?

The monument designation closes the land to EVERYTHING, including our dirt bikes.  Are you a member of SUWA by chance, trolling this site?

• Like 2

NWO man! You know they have to hate trump for undoing all the damage Obama did trying to close down land & herd people back into the cities. Obama was the most blatant about it, other presidents have done it also just quietly

The monument designation closes the land to EVERYTHING, including our dirt bikes.  Are you a member of SUWA by chance, trolling this site?

No no no no no. Slow down. I'm sorry I said Republicans and started to turn this political. Wtf is SUWA? I know munument designation closes it to dirt bikes. I don't like the abuse of the pen either. I'm not saying leave it at monument designation. Just saying we should all, dirtbike, hunters, hikers, keep an eye on land status. I'm tired or hearing about public land going away.

2 minutes ago, colodirty said:

No no no no no. Slow down. I'm sorry I said Republicans and started to turn this political. Wtf is SUWA? I know munument designation closes it to dirt bikes. I don't like the abuse of the pen either. I'm not saying leave it at monument designation. Just saying we should all, dirtbike, hunters, hikers, keep an eye on land status. I'm tired or hearing about public land going away.

LOL, OK.  SUWA=Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance.  They are probably one of the more extreme eco nazi groups in the nation.  If it were up to them the entire state of UT and much of the SW would be wilderness with no access other than by foot.  These monuments designations, started by Slick Willie with the Grand Staircase designation, have been blatant land grabs for the far left whacko eco nazis benefit.  Its time this was reined in.

• Like 3

LOL, OK.  SUWA=Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance.  They are probably one of the more extreme eco nazi groups in the nation.  If it were up to them the entire state of UT and much of the SW would be wilderness with no access other than by foot.  These monuments designations, started by Slick Willie with the Grand Staircase designation, have been blatant land grabs for the far left whacko eco nazis benefit.  Its time this was reined in.

Gotcha. Definitely not one of them haha.
I hope trump does open it back up. I'm in Durango and wayyyy too much land around here is closed to anything but bikes and foot. After Chaffetz tried to sell off all of that land in Utah it got me worried about all of our public land around here. Sure don't wanna get labeled a SUWA troll again though! Ha

1 minute ago, colodirty said:

Gotcha. Definitely not one of them haha.
I hope trump does open it back up. I'm in Durango and wayyyy too much land around here is closed to anything but bikes and foot. After Chaffetz tried to sell off all of that land in Utah it got me worried about all of our public land around here. Sure don't wanna get labeled a SUWA troll again though! Ha

Hermosa trail to Purg is open to bikes.  Devil Mtn. west of Pagosa.  And of course, Dolores-Rico.  But yes, most everything in the immediate Durango area is off limits.  (I'm just south of you north of Aztec.)

Hermosa trail to Purg is open to bikes.  Devil Mtn. west of Pagosa.  And of course, Dolores-Rico.  But yes, most everything in the immediate Durango area is off limits.  (I'm just south of you north of Aztec.)

Oh nice. I'll have to check those out. I just moved here and it's hard to find out where the trails are. I've done cherry Creek and saw that Saul's Creek is open here in a week. Is Dolores-Rico the cherry Creek area?

1 hour ago, colodirty said:

Oh nice. I'll have to check those out. I just moved here and it's hard to find out where the trails are. I've done cherry Creek and saw that Saul's Creek is open here in a week. Is Dolores-Rico the cherry Creek area?

Dolores-Rico is just south of Telluride, about halfway north from Mancos.

I fear that "undesignating" the national monument is only to facilitate the business interest of some corporate entity. Either way,  I doubt it will benefit those of us who ride dirt bikes. And before you accuse me of being a political troll, please consider that is exactly what "they" want - for us to be distracted with false polarizing arguments. It's time for us to "undivide." Why can't I empathize with the SUWA, the sierra club, etc, and campaign to ride my 2-stroke on public lands?

• Like 1

I fear that "undesignating" the national monument is only to facilitate the business interest of some corporate entity. Either way,  I doubt it will benefit those of us who ride dirt bikes. And before you accuse me of being a political troll, please consider that is exactly what "they" want - for us to be distracted with false polarizing arguments. It's time for us to "undivide." Why can't I empathize with the SUWA, the sierra club, etc, and campaign to ride my 2-stroke on public lands?

I'm with ya. A larger group that campaigns strictly for more public lands. Then we can worry about who gets what. (unrestricted dirtbike and hunting lands of course)

I will admit it is hard to align with a group that narrows their focus to their very narrow interests like SUWA, even though I agree with their larger basic goal of the public land fight.

I agree with your concern - if we can align with the other groups - but I'm going to give it a shot. I look forward to trying at an upcoming Sierra Club event. It should be better than trying to shake hands with the broker for big oil (that's like trying to chase a rich ghost.) 

Look at the rest of the country east of Denver - there is so little to ride, not so much due to environmental groups, but due to lack of public lands (the private state of TX is a great example.)

5 hours ago, 71CO250 said:

I agree with your concern - if we can align with the other groups - but I'm going to give it a shot. I look forward to trying at an upcoming Sierra Club event. It should be better than trying to shake hands with the broker for big oil (that's like trying to chase a rich ghost.) 

Look at the rest of the country east of Denver - there is so little to ride, not so much due to environmental groups, but due to lack of public lands (the private state of TX is a great example.)

10 years ago I advocated for OHV land use for a living.  I dealt with those groups on a daily basis.  They will not listen to you, no matter how reasoned your arguments.  The thing to do is join with other OHV advocacy groups to fight the eco nazis and the politicians that are aligned with them.  Groups like BRC and NOHVCC are who you should be talking to, you are wasting your time trying to talk to SUWA, Sierra Club, TWC, etc.

BTW, I don't mind an oil or gas well if I'm not restricted from riding in that area.  It does work, the 1.6 million acres of BLM that I live in the midst of is a prime example, Gas and oil and OHV use have worked well together here for many years, the local BLM office is very supportive of both.  As for the lack of public lands, the vast majority of that happened before the feds took control of that land, they are not generally in the business of selling land.  Texas is an example of what happens when well back in the 19th century cattle barons bought up the land.  That doesn't happen anymore.

• Like 1

Can't believe that Trump is going to do anything to benefit you or I, more likely his oil buddies......

10 minutes ago, 2012 450 xc-w said:

Can't believe that Trump is going to do anything to benefit you or I, more likely his oil buddies......

It may benefit them, but we will indirectly benefit from it, or maybe directly.

I think the crux of the biscuit here is the explosive population growth in the west...everyone advocates for their slice of an increasingly shrinking pie.

Who will win?

Money

I'm with CJ. Dont EVER think SUWA is going to be receptive to anythinng that will even remotely benefit riders. And neither will Sierra Club, Wilderness Society, Great Old Broads For Wilderness, Quiet Use Coalition, and (fill in the blank). Thinking otherwise shows that you are new to the situation...well intentioned perhaps, but lacking experience.

As for Trump...he is our only hope to at least temporarily halt the ongoing closures and possibly undo some things.

And let me ask, what is it exactly that some think is so bad about oil and gas development on public lands?

• Like 1