Operating Temperature

Does anyone know what the actual operating temperature is on a 14' rmz450?  I have a trail tech vapor installed and generally cruising around it seems to stay around 118* does this sound right?   Mainly wondering what the safe range is?  I plan to install a fan and just not sure what temp I should have it kick on at.  Thanks!

Where is your temp sensor installed at?  Ideally you should be 170-180 degrees right out of the head.  If you have your sensor in the top of the left radiator it will be lower.  118 is pretty low.

• Like 1

Where is your temp sensor installed at?  Ideally you should be 170-180 degrees right out of the head.  If you have your sensor in the top of the left radiator it will be lower.  118 is pretty low.

Thats where it is. So i guess a better question would be coolant temp for that area

On 4/29/2017 at 3:05 PM, Joshz400_03 said:

Thats where it is. So i guess a better question would be coolant temp for that area

That is a bad spot to have it... the temps there will always be lower and will not be accurate as far as how much the bike is cooling itself. The left rad is the last to heat up and the last to cool down. It will throw fan temps off across the board. 

My suggestion would be to move it. 

19 hours ago, BDubb106 said:

That is a bad spot to have it... the temps there will always be lower and will not be accurate as far as how much the bike is cooling itself. The left rad is the last to heat up and the last to cool down. It will throw fan temps off across the board. 

My suggestion would be to move it. 

I don't have a fan installed yet.  Just the temp sensor that came with the Trail Tech for the readout.  I plan on putting a fan on within the next week. 

On 4/29/2017 at 0:05 PM, Joshz400_03 said:

As Bdubb mentioned it will be hard to get a consistent reading at that spot.  I would pay attention to what temperature it's reading when you boil-over then set the fan 15 or 20 degrees below that, I'd guess that's going to be around 200.  But if you're averaging 118 why waste the time and money and hack into your electrical system for a fan?  It doesn't sound like you're having an overheating problem.

14 minutes ago, Darvo said:

As Bdubb mentioned it will be hard to get a consistent reading at that spot.  I would pay attention to what temperature it's reading when you boil -over then set the fan 15 or 20 degrees below that, I'd guess that's going to be around 200.  But if you're averaging 118 why waste the time and money and hack into your electrical system for a fan?  It doesn't sound like you're having an overheating problem.

That is the temp reading I'm getting when cruising around.  When stopping at a stoplight it creeps up pretty fast.  I hit three stop lights in a row a few days ago and saw the temp up to 150.  So assuming the other side was quite a bit warmer. 

Stoplight?  I guess a fan would make sense on a street legal bike.  I still think it's going to be 180-200 before you need to worry about it.  Many of these EFI bikes have a "rich mode" from what I've been told they are running rich until they hit 170 degrees.  I run a thermostat on my bikes to keep the temps up above 170, but I ride them in the snow.

Ideally you probably would want a thermostat also so you're not too cool when cruising.  This one works very well and has a port that you can screw your trail tech temp sensor into.  That allows you to keep track of coolant temps right out of the head pre-thermostat.

http://shop.watt-man.com/Thermo-Bob-3-for-RM-Z450-2008-and-newer-TB3-RM4.htm

Edited by Darvo

24 minutes ago, Darvo said:

Stoplight?  I guess a fan would make sense on a street legal bike.  I still think it's going to be 180-200 before you need to worry about it.  Many of these EFI bikes have a "rich mode" from what I've been told they are running rich until they hit 170 degrees.  I run a thermostat on my bikes to keep the temps up above 170, but I ride them in the snow.

Ideally you probably would want a thermostat also so you're not too cool when cruising.  This one works very well and has a port that you can screw your trail tech temp sensor into.  That allows you to keep track of coolant temps right out of the head pre-thermostat.

http://shop.watt-man.com/Thermo-Bob-3-for-RM-Z450-2008-and-newer-TB3-RM4.htm

Thanks for the info! I guess I should have mentioned it is street legal.  I'll look into the thermostat.  I was wondering if the mx bike had one at all. 

On 5/1/2017 at 2:24 PM, Joshz400_03 said:

I don't have a fan installed yet.  Just the temp sensor that came with the Trail Tech for the readout.  I plan on putting a fan on within the next week. 

I'm talking about the temp sensor. 

ive got a boyseen supercooler and trail tech digital fan kit for my supermoto trim rmz.

temps are minty fresh.

fan comes on at 150 and off at 130. with these street converted bikes, you really dont want them overheating, as they do very abnormally than the dirt versions.

huge help with those upgrades for street riding, no more boil overoilers in heavy traffic or long stop lights :cool:

Edit: hey josh :D

Edited by jadedsynk
  • Like 1