Jump to content

Tire Choice

Recommended Posts

Guys I'm looking for a some advice on tires. I just put on a new Bridgestone Battlecross X30 rear tire on my 450X in January, and 3 months later it's already down to half treat. I know this is in part to my riding style, I like to stay on the throttle and spin the tire. I'm looking for something that can handle that while at the same time not sacrifice traction. What are you guys have luck with? Should I go cheap and just replace the tire every couple months? Or is there a tire strong enough to handle my riding style? Thanks guys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you'll be better off just replacing more often. I just put the Dunlop AT81 on my bike with RMATV's rebate and have liked it. I do1nt think it will last any longer than the X30 though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shutupandride said:

What environment do you usually ride in? If it's California desert, a lot of people like the Maxxis Desert IT.

Central California, so mostly foothill riding or Prairie City OHV. Plan on getting up to Elkins Flat now that the snow has melted. So more of a mud/dirt/rock focus

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jzonts said:

I think you'll be better off just replacing more often. I just put the Dunlop AT81 on my bike with RMATV's rebate and have liked it. I do1nt think it will last any longer than the X30 though.

Alright I was considering this to bean option but I see the $$$ adding up already even if I go cheap. I'm thinking of going with the stock Dunlop tire and seeing how it holds up. For a reference, how often do you usually have to replace your tire?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, kgish475 said:

Alright I was considering this to bean option but I see the $$$ adding up already even if I go cheap. I'm thinking of going with the stock Dunlop tire and seeing how it holds up. For a reference, how often do you usually have to replace your tire?

I haven't tracked how long the tires have lasted. Sorry I can't help you there :/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Jzonts said:

I haven't tracked how long the tires have lasted. Sorry I can't help you there :/

Alright, I'll see if anyone else chimes in. But I will keep your idea in mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try the Battlecross X40 and/or the Maxxis Desert IT as already mentioned. I've seen great wear and traction on 450s and 525s, both of which tend to burn tires up when ridden hard. I ride mainly Mojave but the terrain varies and those even worked well in snow this past winter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WR450f... I used to Run Pirelli scorpion mid softs (they last well for mid soft mud/dirt except edge is warn out after one ride that includes gravel for the rear (very soft side wall= easy tyre to change, but more chance of pinch flats, not that I've had one). I just switched to Dunlop Geomax at81 tyre on front, pretty awesome tyre all round. Then fitted a Dunlop Geomax MX52 Rear, two rides of hard pack dirt, slippery mud paddocks & bog holes with high speed gravel sections & power slides. The tyre still has an ok edge and hooks up well in all conditions. (I was going to switch between mid/soft and int/hards)

I found both Dunlops much tighter to fit than the Pirelli tyres, the side walls are stiffer on Dunlops and in my opinion are a better quality tyre. I was going to run Pirelli mid/soft for winter & med/hard Dunlops over summer, for enduro riding/trail rides. When my Pirelli's are worn out... I will not buy any more! Dunlop Geomax is my preferred tyre now.

 Search the reviews on them... MX52’s staggered center block distribution is aimed at helping the tire absorb impacts, such as those found in whoops and square-edged bumps. 

Edited by surfez
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Longest wearing tire ever for abusive dirt bikers is an IRC Volcanduro. Had a few of those for riding and enduros in Colorado mountains, super rocky and sometimes hard pack clay. Best beater tire ever. They are also cheaper.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Gregg Hunter said:

Try the Battlecross X40 and/or the Maxxis Desert IT as already mentioned. I've seen great wear and traction on 450s and 525s, both of which tend to burn tires up when ridden hard. I ride mainly Mojave but the terrain varies and those even worked well in snow this past winter.

I want to like the Battlecross but the X30 just wore too fast for my liking. Maybe the X40 has strong materials in it though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kdxyardsale said:

Longest wearing tire ever for abusive dirt bikers is an IRC Volcanduro. Had a few of those for riding and enduros in Colorado mountains, super rocky and sometimes hard pack clay. Best beater tire ever. They are also cheaper.

Well boys we might have a winner! Haven't read a single bad review and everyone is saying this is a 500+ mile tire. Some how it's goes the distance without sacrificing traction or quality. Will definitely be trying this tire as soon as my X30 is wasted!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×