Knee brace after total knee replacement

I just had my left knee replaced about 8 weeks ago due to a nasty tibia plateau fracture that happened about 15 years ago at the age of 27.  Before the surgery I wore Don Joy carbon knee braces for the instabilities I had in my left knee, and my right knee I have a torn ACL.  The biggest reason I wore them though is for support in my left knee.  With the TKR I just had done, the Dr says that I shouldn't have any instability issues with my left knee.  Should I wear braces, or just a sleeve?  

Dr Mark:  I read an 11 year old thread where you suggested just a sleeve and some shin guards with patella protection.  Is that still your position?  Any recommendations on sleeves?

I'm still probably a couple of months away from riding.  Going to physical therapy 3 times a week.  I have about 110 degrees range of motion, but it's painful and tight past 90ish at the moment.  I believe I still just need some time for things to settle down in my knee so it won't get so inflamed.  I ride woods and can't wait to get back on the bike.

So you're saying that after 4 months you'll be ready to get back on the bike and get in the woods.  You sir are the freaking man.  I broke my shin in about 30 pieces, just below my knee about 12 years ago.  With that they reconstructed my knee with the bone.   It took a full year before I could walk right even though I was on crutches the day of the surgery.  Plate, screws etc, then physical therapy on the leg bender (torture rack).  It was two years before I felt right and I now need a TKR at some point, but,,, have been putting it off remembering the pain right after my surgery.

4 months is optimistic I know, it's what I'm hoping for to atleast get out and put around on some trails.  I'm definitely not going to go full tilt for a long time, if ever.  I just want a little seat time in the not-so-distant future.

• Like 1

So, back to my original question,  what's the consensus on bracing up your knee after TKR?  Necessary?  Bad idea because it may cause stress at the bone/prosthetic interface in the event of a crash?  etc...

I bought a set of Leatt Pro C braces when I got back into riding this year.  When I rode my bike for the first time I didn't wear them and my knee hurt like hell.  Bought these and rode a week later and not only felt no pain but felt MUCH more confident.  I've never worn braces riding before and it took a while to get them comfortable but after a while I didn't notice it.  In addition, I took them to a local brace shop in portland.  They sell medical grade braces and the guy said they were of similar quality of a brace that individually costs much more.  I like the knee pad and the comfort is there, but most important was that it gave me confidence and I didn't think about my bad knee at all.

You will crash and you will drag your foot, these will help there....

I bought a set of Leatt Pro C braces when I got back into riding this year.  When I rode my bike for the first time I didn't wear them and my knee hurt like hell.  Bought these and rode a week later and not only felt no pain but felt MUCH more confident.  I've never worn braces riding before and it took a while to get them comfortable but after a while I didn't notice it.  In addition, I took them to a local brace shop in portland.  They sell medical grade braces and the guy said they were of similar quality of a brace that individually costs much more.  I like the knee pad and the comfort is there, but most important was that it gave me confidence and I didn't think about my bad knee at all.
You will crash and you will drag your foot, these will help there....

Me and a buddy gonna be at Henderson Flat around noon on Saturday, China hat all day on Sunday. We're riding our DS bikes so the pace will be reasonable if you'd like to join us. Can't pm you for some reason. Sorry for the thread Jack.

I was riding at 4 months after a TKR. But.... I was warned about jumps and impact stress, something a brace does nothing for. If you damage the replacement, the next one is a much worse surgery and recovery. Because f this, I waited (delayed) until I could barely walk before having the surgery done. Replacement have a life span of 15 to 20 years. So I should be ok into my 70's. I have stopped snow skiing and when riding, very careful jumping and avoiding impact.

A brace will save you until the brace cannot deal with the stress then it could be worse than no brace. So they are great for mild stress, serious ones, you are better off without it. But how do you know in advance is the question. Me? I have accepted reality and ride for fun and no longer have anything to prove. My goal is walking after a day of riding.

• Like 2

I would suggest a knee brace in this case.  You have a lot to protect.  The knee prosthesis is not living tissue, and is incapable of healing (duh?)

Try on several before you decide what is most comfortable.

• Like 2

I'm high jacking the thread because I've been told I'll need a full knee replacement on my left leg. I'm just 50 now and I'm doing my best to put off replacement as long as possible as my surgeon tells me most people have them for 15 years and they get replaced once. Since I'm so active with mounting biking and motocross I want to stretch this out as long as possible. My question for Dr Mark is: Can I still do MX with a replacement? I'm not talking about putting around the track on the ground. I'm still hucking 3rd & 4th gear jumps on my 450. Is that still possible?

Its possible to be in th4 450 class in Supercross.  And if you never had a bad get-off it would be just fine.

• Like 1