2002 Rm125 shifting issues! HELP!!

Hi guys im new on here. But I have seen some of the articles and it seems like everyone is very helpful to others on here so i figured i would give it a try. Anyways I just bought a 2002 Suzuki Rm125 and im having issues with the shifting. The shifter has full motion top to bottom but it will not catch any gears. The bike runs just fine but like i said the shifter will not catch or engange into any gears. Any information helps! 

First thing is to make sure the clutch is actually engaging.  Check the cable and make sure there is some freeplay. If you are certain that the cable is releasing fully, next thing is probably checking the actual clutch itself.  Remove the clutch cover and the plates.  My bike when I bought it had plates so worn it would barely move forward.  They were aluminum, I wouldn't expect this to happen on steel ones but I don't know what the RM125's use.  

Also, when you engage the bike into gear while the engine is running can you hear/feel the gear engage?  Or does the shifter move up or down but nothing happens?  If it does the latter probably not the clutch.  

Ive done many 01-02 rm's with same problem.  The shiftdrum gets a wear spot on it so shift fork gets stuck.  120$ tranny fix for parts. But check little stuff first. Shifter not hitting, maybe something with the mechanism or shift pawls,segment 

Edited by Motox367

Cesper it will not click/engage. I try to shift up or down and the shifter just has play. It has full motion from 1st to 6th but you cannot feel any gears. It will not catch. I believe it is either shift fork or bent shaft. My clutch is fine, tension on the cable is fine, and plates and fibers are brand new. And yes they were installed correctly. 

17 hours ago, cesper said:

Also, when you engage the bike into gear while the engine is running can you hear/feel the gear engage?  Or does the shifter move up or down but nothing happens?  If it does the latter probably not the clutch.  

17 hours ago, Motox367 said:

Ive done many 01-02 rm's with same problem.  The shiftdrum gets a wear spot on it so shift fork gets stuck.  120$ tranny fix for parts. But check little stuff first. Shifter not hitting, maybe something with the mechanism or shift pawls,segment 

The rm's are known for shitty gearboxes, I will split the cases and check out the shift pawls, and the shift drum. Also it have you seen any rm's with really worn gear dogs?

1 minute ago, Motorider682 said:

The rm's are known for shitty gearboxes, I will split the cases and check out the shift pawls, and the shift drum. Also it have you seen any rm's with really worn gear dogs?

Yes as I have with other brands also.  But that particular year it's usually the drum . 

• Like 1

I wouldn't think it was the drum channels itself or the fork then.  Your shifter is attached to an arm that runs through the side of the case and at the end of that is some sort of arm that acts on the shift drum.  If this is bent, or not fastened all the way the arm will not fully rotate the drum and you will not have any gear to engage. 

If it was a bent fork you would be able to get past that one gear into another.  

And if the drum had a binding issue, the shifter would just get stuck and not move much at all.  

If you grab the shifter from the outside and push it in and out of the engine it should not move more than a millimeter or two.  If it does, then it's probably what I was talking about

1 minute ago, cesper said:

I wouldn't think it was the drum channels itself or the fork then.  Your shifter is attached to an arm that runs through the side of the case and at the end of that is some sort of arm that acts on the shift drum.  If this is bent, or not fastened all the way the arm will not fully rotate the drum and you will not have any gear to engage. 

If it was a bent fork you would be able to get past that one gear into another.  

And if the drum had a binding issue, the shifter would just get stuck and not move much at all.  

If you grab the shifter from the outside and push it in and out of the engine it should not move more than a millimeter or two.  If it does, then it's probably what I was talking about

I had actually tried pushing it in and pulling on it and it had very little movement. Like i said the issue is confusing because it has no symptoms of anything except the fact that it wont engage. Im going to check again tonight to see if I can find any other symptoms. 

You basically need to take the clutch cover off and the clutch assembly.  Look at this link, 6th picture down the post(might not be an RM, but most work the same).  At the bottom left of the engine is the shifter assembly.  With the clutch removed you should be able to shift with your hand and see if this ratchet is actually engaging on the drum.  On this particular picture the drum is sitting inside the case just below the crank spindle, the metal arm to the left that sort of looks like a beer bottle opener has teeth on the right end and those teeth need to mesh with the teeth on the end of the drum.

i have seen some where either this arm(bottle opener shape) is bent outward and the teeth do not line up, or on a Honda I had one where the bolt hounding the drum in place was loose, allowing the drum to float side to side cause basically the same issue.  

Pull your clutch assembly and report back, can't really go much further until you do.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cesper said:

You basically need to take the clutch cover off and the clutch assembly.  Look at this link, 6th picture down the post(might not be an RM, but most work the same).  At the bottom left of the engine is the shifter assembly.  With the clutch removed you should be able to shift with your hand and see if this ratchet is actually engaging on the drum.  On this particular picture the drum is sitting inside the case just below the crank spindle, the metal arm to the left that sort of looks like a beer bottle opener has teeth on the right end and those teeth need to mesh with the teeth on the end of the drum.

i have seen some where either this arm(bottle opener shape) is bent outward and the teeth do not line up, or on a Honda I had one where the bolt hounding the drum in place was loose, allowing the drum to float side to side cause basically the same issue.  

Pull your clutch assembly and report back, can't really go much further until you do.  

which link?

• 5 years later...

Hi can anybody help got a 1998 rm125 gearbox problem I can shift the shift drum by hand from 4th gear into 5th and back down into 4th but when I go to shift it into 3rd the full shift drum locks up solid and won't move could this be a bent shift folk or the shift drum itself as its had brand new clutch cable and the clutch friction steel and fibre plates are fine and the shift pawl mechanism fine as that's brand new and installed correctly but the shift drum itself completely locks up when tryna down shift from 4th to 3rd but can still shift the drum by hand from 4th to 5th easily any help much appreciated