Set up KTM 450 SXF for enduro/trail riding

Hi

I got a KTM 450 SXF 2017 and ride mostly motocross but I am thinking about swiching to enduro since we doesnt got any good mx tracks in my area. Tired of traveling hours to ride a nice track. I want to be able to ride both enduro and motocross so I dont want to sell the bike for a exc at the moment.

The main problem with the sxf is that it stalls easy in the woods. So I googled a bit and found that swiching flywheel or adding a weight to the flywheel will do the trick. I doesnt find any flywheels but I found these 5 ounce weights from steahlyoffroad.com. Will 5 ounce be enough?

Anyone know how much the sxf flywheel and the exc flywheel weighs?

I saw there is a "Dungey edition" for the 13-15 bike and it has options of 8, 12 or 15 ounces.

And what about the clutch, I read someone swiching out some alu plates to steel plates.. anyone tried this?

I use my 450 SXF FE for MX, GP only, ok occasionally for desert racing while I use my 300 XCW and 450 EXC-F for desert, trail, single track, NHHA and just about everything else. The 450 is a lot harder hitting machine and tends to run a little hotter as you know, that said doesn't mean you cannot use if for trail riding once you've tamed the best some. I have friends that race them in National Hare and Hound Assoc series along with other tighter woods type events. They like the 8 oz weight as that greatly reduced the stall factor. But these guys are pretty aggressive racers. You might find the 5 oz weight a bit too lite but like everything you do to a bike it is personal preference. You may find you have to do some testing for different situations. 

As far as the clutch goes they've been running stock or Hinson set ups. Good luck on your set up, hoping to get over your way in the near future to do some riding. Been talking to a couple coworkers from a sister office there.

Edited by Diamond-Dave

Hi

Thanks for sharing theese experiences with me Dave.  As you say its hard to know what its like before testing it in person. What do you think about rekluse clutch? I have been reading a bit about it and they say you dont even feel it is there, exept that it doesnt stall. So it sounds to be what I am looking for but I am not sure. In the past I thought its just for novice riders that cant controll the clutch but I might have to rethink.

I have done some pro races both in mx and in enduro so I got plenty of speed and good clutch controll but the sxf 450 stalls very easy in tricky sections.

Hi,

Me personally I'm not into the Rekluse clutches but I have many friends that love them and use them both in trail riding and racing off road. I'm old school on new machines and I too know how to control my clutch. I like the motor/tranny/terrain feedback I get from standard clutches. Much of that you lose or just feel it differently when you go automatic. The rekluse would help tame that SXF in regards to the stalls you experience in the tighter terrain though.  This is something that would be good feedback from people that run them and are more PRO Rekluse where I am not. But they do have a place and use like anything in life. One reason I still have 2 strokes and 4 strokes, I like them for different reasons and riding styles.

My current bikes are:

'73 & '74 Elsinore CR250M, '98 XR600R, '00 YZ250, '12 300 XC-W, '14 450 SXF-FE (Dungey), '17 450 EXC-F 6 Days, '04 BBC Venom ProStreet, '06 R1 (50th Anny)

Edited by Diamond-Dave

I have desided to ditch the rekluse idéa and go with a 8 oz flywheel insteed. But the main problem i think is that I get to tired in my clutchfinger and thats when I stall. I only use my indexfinger on the clutch. So if there is any way to make the clutchlever easier to pull with one finger let me know!

• Like 1

I found this on google, maybe worth tryin

"To change the clutch tension lay your bike on its side and remove the clutch cover. This way you dont have to drop the oil and its actually easier to work on.

There are 6 M6 bolts holding the retaining plate for the larger Belleville washer (this replaced the individual springs on previous clutches) The plate has various bolt hole settings and if you wipe the oil away from it you will see the letters X Y &Z stamped into it. One of the bolts will line up with one of the letters - to align with another letter for more/less preload just remove the 6 bolts and turn the plate. Dead easy 5 minute job"

My clutch didn't look the same. It says 7,8,9 but I measured the holes and they seem to be the same size.
How do I know if the plates are worn or good to go?

I just cover the hell out of the clutch in our tight single trail, but i may get an auto clutch some day. I find it annoying.

Start with the basics, skid plate,hand guards,fan kit,oversized tank, and protection for the bike. 

I have raced recluse clutches for the last 6 yrs. I swear by them usually. Put one in my yz250, wr450, 250fx, and now my 450xcf. The first bike I didn't like it in was my 450xcf. The clutch feels like it engages too hard and doesn't slip enough. Adjusting did not help. The second I put on the flywheel weight it was night and day. I called stealthy and they suggested the 12oz. Best money ever spent on that bike.