Maxima 927

Want opinions of maxima 927. 2005 yz250 full fmf exhaust,fatty,powercore2. Stock jetting besides a 180 main and running 93 non ethanol just want to know what I can expect and I have been using motul 800. I do not ride Mx a lot but do run the bike hard at times and lot of fifth gear hauls.

Been around along time,little gummy but an overall great oil.smells good too

I don't have any experience with either oil, but I thought I would post the flashpoint of them. This information was posted in another thread. The flashpoint is close on both, and from what I understand, since you ride a good bit in the higher rev area, the higher flashpoint would be a good thing.

Maxima 927 - 420 F

Motul 800 - 485 F

Is it really as dirty as I keep seeing or is that just from people lugging it around and never really cleaning the bike out

2 hours ago, Rider1998 said:

Is it really as dirty as I keep seeing or is that just from people lugging it around and never really cleaning the bike out

My bikes at 32:1 with 50/50 race gas would be dark gray powder at the silencer.  Didn't matter witch bike either . Packing would be dry but burned out after awhile 

Edited by Motox367

3 hours ago, Rider1998 said:

If your jetting is right and not too rich at any throttle position, then 927 aint dirty/messy in your motor top end. Not at all. What happens with 927 is that the hotter spots on the piston and valves will get a brown cooked on layer on them.

Not a big issue if jetting is right. I actually like it because the power valves get a nice protection layer on them where they can use it.

Why switch from 800T?  800T is amazing stuff with no downsides unless you ride real slow trails with rich jetting - then you could foul plugs with 800T.

I use 800T and piston wear seems as low as with 927 at the same ratio. About 45:1 with a 295cc motor.

I still add a splash of 927 in my mix just for the smell!  I just love it.  I always use castor oil in my garden machines because it is the smell of fun. Plus I can hammer those little engines without a worry at all.

However I've recently smelled bikes running the very latest 800T and I think Motul have changed the brew and it now smells great. Anyone able to verify this?

Just to reiterate, 927 is no dirtier than anything else if you're jetted properly. I just tore down my entire engine after 57 hours of nothing but 927 at 32:1. It was pristine, with the heart-shaped burn pattern on the piston. The bore looked great and the power valve linkages were oily, but hardly any buildup or gunk at all, and super easy to clean with carb cleaner. I expected it to be really dirty based on what I'd read, but that wasn't the case at all. At this point, it's all I plan on using with the new motor (Athena 293 with WR gears). The PV linkage pic is of the new cylinder, but it was cleaned with nothing more than a shot of carb cleaner and compressed air to dry it off.
2017-04-15_10-54-04
2017-04-19_12-23-41

• Like 4

Basically I am just wanting to try something else, I have read about the protection that a castor can provide and am real meticulous on what I use in my bikes and I always want the best

Wow that's good stuff bike even feels like it pulls harder and always wants to be ridden hard

Hate the color has me paranoid

You wont notice a difference imo except for smell, which some people change premix oils just for that reason. If you do switch, make sure you drain tank and put some new mixed fuel in there, shake tank and empty tank again so you dont accidentally mix those two fuels together because they will most likely separate and you could seize your engine. If I do change premix, I do it on a fresh top end but if your not having problems with motul 800, then why change it especially since the flashpoints are ballpark with each other? 

I drained the tank and the carb and just wanted to try something different motul burned really dirty imo mixing at 32:1 and I don't want to play the fuel ratio game I always mix at that and so far after an hour of riding I have no excess on the muffler which is nice to see

Is it really that bad at separating if it sits

8 minutes ago, Rider1998 said:

I drained the tank and the carb and just wanted to try something different motul burned really dirty imo mixing at 32:1 and I don't want to play the fuel ratio game I always mix at that and so far after an hour of riding I have no excess on the muffler which is nice to see

Is it really that bad at separating if it sits

I've had 927 separate one time duringa winter series.  But was with race feul and was pretty cold. Only separated in the carb . I wouldn't worry about it unless it's freezing where you are 

Awesome thank
You.

I hate to keep asking questions I've read a 50/50 on this stuff but also does it mix good especially when shook to hell I read to doesn't mix good

5 hours ago, crider400 said:

If you do switch, make sure you drain tank and put some new mixed fuel in there, shake tank and empty tank again so you dont accidentally mix those two fuels together because they will most likely separate and you could seize your engine. If I do change premix, I do it on a fresh top end

Can you explain why having two different premix oils in there, especially 800T and 927, could make one oil separate out of suspension? I've not yet heard a logical reason for not blending premix oils.  927 is a synth + castor blend from the Maxima factory.

Premix oils are just oils. They sit in suspension in the fuel.  According to the tech paper on the Maxima website, the oil in your top end is completely replaced in a couple of seconds at high RPM and WOT.   If the temps might be super cold so castor maybe separates out, then drain the bowl before storage and shake the bike or container before using it.

As I mentioned, I blend 800T with a little castor on purpose and I always look into my clear large fuel container for any signs of separation but it doesn't happen. I sometimes store it for up to a month, then just shake it up and pour it in and ride.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Rider1998 said:

motul burned really dirty imo mixing at 32:1

Then your jetting is rich at some throttle position. Fact.  So 927 will be the same, or worse.

With correct jetting you could use 800T or 927 at 25:1 premix ratio and have no spooge for a tight MX track. No need to clear the motor out. Just ride.

The stock Yam needle has a problem. It's lean at 3/8th throttle, or rich elsewhere depending on how you set it up.  To make the Yam needle work without 3/8th hesitation, the usual option is a fat pilot jet, and that means spooge, because we all need to use 0 to 1/4 throttle a lot. Or you can go a clip richer on the needle so it pulls nice at 3/8th, but then it's rich at 1/4 and 1/2 throttle. Win/lose. Any lose and you get spooge.

Fix your jetting if you want to remove spooge and keep the PV system free from build up.  800T is great stuff, and better overall than 927. But castor will always smell wonderful, so add a dash of 927 for more 2-stroke joy.

Edited by numroe
  • Like 2

In my YZ125 which is jetted a little richer than stock, 927 runs very clean. I'm running 32-1 and straight Avgas 100LL. If you run the bike hard enough and your jetting is in the ballpark you will not have any more spooge than other oils. I choose 927 since it is recommended by some of the sports top tuners and comes at a cheaper price point than the newer synthetics. This is a pic of my silencer after this weekends Moto's. IMG_4401.thumb.PNG.cd10911d13fe3efabc9e947c4c77d80d.PNG

• Like 6