Steering Nut Removal

Starting to hear a little squeak squeak when I rotate my bars so decided it was time to grease the steering head bearings (2012 wr450).

Got the forks out, bars off, BUT can't get the damn steering head nut off? Picked up a 32mm impact socket and am giving it hell with the impact driver but it doesn't want to budge.. thought the torque spec on this nut wasn't much, factory overtightened? Maybe I'm overlooking something, my front axle nut with the same impact driver came off easily 10 minutes prior, I'm charging the battery just in case but WTF

17 minutes ago, dspy21 said:

Starting to hear a little squeak squeak when I rotate my bars so decided it was time to grease the steering head bearings (2012 wr450).

Got the forks out, bars off, BUT can't get the damn steering head nut off? Picked up a 32mm impact socket and am giving it hell with the impact driver but it doesn't want to budge.. thought the torque spec on this nut wasn't much, factory overtightened? Maybe I'm overlooking something, my front axle nut with the same impact driver came off easily 10 minutes prior, I'm charging the battery just in case but WTF

You don't need to use a impact driver and the nuts torque is very tight. Use a breaker bar with a pipe over it. Torque wrench to tighten. 

Just figured an impact would do more efficient work on the nut than a breaker bar with pipe. Anyways, idk if it was the heat, wd40, or excessive amount of swearing but I finally got the nut off. Definitely gonna torque the nut to spec now and not a lb over.