Thumper Talk Skid Plate Install, Step by Step Instructions.

Would anyone be kind enough to explain the ThumperTalk skid plate installation for my 2017 400s?  I searched google for instructions, but nothing really exists...  And unless I'm not using the search feature in the TT forums correctly, there doesn't seem to be a clear-cut response in there either.  I'm wondering if it's because the post is labeled differently than the keywords I'm typing in.

Thanks in advance,

Scott.

No problems.  Just wanted to anticipate the installation.  Odly there are no videos showing the line up of the plate to holes.  

• Like 1

No problems.  Just wanted to anticipate the installation.  Odly there are no videos showing the line up of the plate to holes.  

You probably also won't find any instructions on kick stand operation either. Some things just make sense when you see them.
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Backwoods-Bomber said:

You probably also won't find any instructions on kick stand operation either. Some things just make sense when you see them.

Hmm, I've always enjoyed a good set of directions when first attempting to put something together. It's to bad the skid plate doesn't come pre installed like the kick stand. 

There appears to be 3-4 screws in the pictures of the skid plate.  I'm guessing they line up with the bike.  I didnt know if it tucked under the exhaust header or went over it.  Or if there was a frame hook involved with the application to the bike. 

• Like 1

Remove the four screws that attach the glide plate to the bottom of the frame.also remove the two screws on each side that attach the plastic ignition and water pump covers.This preps the bike to receive the new skidplate.

The tt skidplate uses the same attachment points as the oem glide plate but uses the provided longer screws and washers.There is also a couple frame straps that hook over from the backside.It's pretty explanatory once you hold the plate up to the bottom of the bike.It can really only go on one way.

• Like 6

I did it! I installed the skid plate. Now what's this I see on my handy directions about putting oil on the screws before installing?

To keep them from rusting in there and getting seized. I use moly grease or anti-seize though. My bigger issue with those bolts is bending them, my bash plate gets hit more than Russle Wilson.
  • Like 1

To keep them from rusting in there and getting seized. I use moly grease or anti-seize though. My bigger issue with those bolts is bending them, my bash plate gets hit more than Russle Wilson.

I put them in without any lubricant. Maybe I'll back them out a little and spray some multi purpose lube on them.

It's going to add confidence to my riding.

Now the case savers, do you take the stock case off and put the tt one in place of it? If so, how do you remove the stock case sides?

You don't,it's all done in place.It should say so in the directions if you got them from TT.

The silicone sealant applied to the back of the case savers is the real secret because the vulcanized rubber acts as a shock absorber during an impact to the magnesium case cover and not the aluminum case saver itself.

Get out the rtv silicone and have a sharpie and a roll of tape handy.Line up the case saver for the clutch side against the case.If the saver has a logo on it line it up nice and level then make a small witness mark from the saver to the clutch cover.Now,invert the case saver and goop up a thick even layer of the silicone,use a popsicle stick,putty knife,bondo spatula to spread it around evenly.Place the case saver against the motor case lining up the witness mark and tape across with several long strips of tape against the motor to hold it from falling down out of place and let it set up overnight to cure then remove the tape.

Edited by bumtarder
  • Like 2

You don't,it's all done in place.It should say so in the directions if you got them from TT.
The silicone sealant applied to the back of the case savers is the real secret because the vulcanized rubber acts as a shock absorber during an impact to the magnesium case cover and not the aluminum case saver itself.
Get out the rtv silicone and have a sharpie and a roll of tape handy.Line up the case saver for the clutch side against the case.If the saver has a logo on it line it up nice and level then make a small witness mark from the saver to the clutch cover.Now,invert the case saver and goop up a thick even layer of the silicone,use a popsicle stick,putty knife,bondo spatula to spread it around evenly.Place the case saver against the motor case lining up the witness mark and tape across with several long strips of tape against the motor to hold it from falling down out of place and let it set up overnight to cure then remove the tape.

Ok I see. So the case savers go over the stock engine sides, simply by using an adhesive agent and sticking them on.