XR650L rear axle spacers - HELP!

I'm set to leave on a trip in the morning on the BRP. I wanted to get new bearings/seals front and rear and get my wheels trued before leaving. Truing wheels is not my specialty so I dropped them at a shop I trust and just paid them to do everything. I just got them back and installed them on the bike and now the rear wheel will not spin. It's like the brakes are engaged but they're not. I removed the wheel and checked and the bearings are stiff but I can turn them with my finger. I also made sure they didn't forget to install the inner spacer and it's there. The shop is now closed so taking it back there isn't an option.

The only thing I can think is that maybe I got the two outer spacers switched. I have the long one on the left (sprocket) side and the short one on the right (disc) side. Can anyone confirm this is correct? I checked online parts diagrams and they are not conclusive in this matter.

Thanks!

Okay, I figured out I was correct on the spacer placement. The small one will hub out on the seal on the sprocket side so it MUST go on the disc side. I bet I have R&R'd an XR650L rear wheel at least a hundred times since 1994.  I had never had this happen before so I had never really had any reason to believe I might have gotten the spacers wrong so I had never even had to think about it. All that and time was running out so panic was setting in. LOL.

I put the wheel back on, didn't torque the axle nut quite as much, and then it would roll. Then I rode it for 10 miles and everything seems to be acceptable now. I don't know what axle nut torque could have had to do with it though, (unless they didn't seat the new bearings all the way so they weren't touching the inner spacer and this had them in a bind :thinking:). Maybe, as a friend has since suggested, those new bearings just needed to be "loosened up" after sitting around my shop for a couple of years. Actually, they had been in my freezer for most of that time. It's a long, weird story.

Oh well, I will find out if all is well tomorrow for sure. Wish me luck. 

CHEERS!

• Like 1

Instead of replacing the bearings I just regrease them.  Pop out the retainer and use a pick set to push between the seal and outer race and pry out, just rubber in grooves hold it in.  Take grease gun with needle greaser and put between balls and outer race and squeeze a little grease in there, I go between all the balls then press the seal back in place.  The other side, you need to remove the axle spacer seal very carefully with a seal puller, I dented mine out a hair and when I put it back in I just tapped the dent down with a drift bunch and hammer.  Greased that side up too and I'm good to go for another 5k.  Do the fronts too if you want.  Much easier than replacing bearings that wore out from long dried up grease.