Best off road rear tire

Love the Sedona 907 with tubliss. I run a GoldenTyre Fatty up front. This setup is on my 450X. On my KTM 300XCW I have Maxxis IT front and rear. The front is great. The rear was when things were moist. In the dry it spins a lot. I also have a Shinko Cheater that is very good. Just different being as soft as it is and a semi trials tire. 

Play with tires. We can all suggest any and everything. But you'll learn some as you mess around with different rubber and tread. Tons of tire threads out there. Skim through and pick a few from guys riding similar. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gottadog said:

Love the Sedona 907 with tubliss. I run a GoldenTyre Fatty up front. This setup is on my 450X. On my KTM 300XCW I have Maxxis IT front and rear. The front is great. The rear was when things were moist. In the dry it spins a lot. I also have a Shinko Cheater that is very good. Just different being as soft as it is and a semi trials tire. 

Play with tires. We can all suggest any and everything. But you'll learn some as you mess around with different rubber and tread. Tons of tire threads out there. Skim through and pick a few from guys riding similar. 

Nice, I'm finding it hard to find the combination of hard dirt tire that is good at shovelling 2-3 foot deep mud n water. 

1 hour ago, Adam Gamble said:

I'm finding it hard to find the combination of hard dirt tire that is good at shovelling 2-3 foot deep mud n water. 

I'm not aware if such a tire exists.  Maybe make some bridges across the ditches!

Wet slick hardpack is a tough ask for most tires (and any rider). You really need the knob edges to hold.

Your suspension condition and setup makes a huge difference too on slick hard ground. Old suspension oil or worn bushes/bearings and too much stiction is a recipe for a crash. Same goes for bad clicker settings. Don't make it more difficult than it has to be.

Bridgestone Battlecross tires seem to have special rubber which is supple and grippy but tough so they don't crack side knobs easily and hold some form of edge for a bit longer than most tires.

If you want traction out of corners under power with some serious lean on hard dirt, then consider a MX hardpack tire.  They have a lot knobs on the sides for a reason ... edges.

I've got an X30 front and rear and they're great all rounders. Great on hardpack when on the side knobs. Very tough so good $ value.  I've read many reviews that the X40 is very good, but I like the X30 for the good go-forward in sandy stuff.

I've got a rear wheel with a Sedona 907 using Tubliss, and it's pretty good everywhere. Never awesome but never does weird stuff either. The rubber is also soft but surprisingly tough like the X30.

I've also got an IRC VE-33 enduro rear 18" tire and it's great. Really cheap. Tough soft rubber. Big spaced out knobs which wont break off and grab nicely over roots.  But it's grip at high lean angles under power is not even close to an MX tire like the Bridgestone X30 or Dunlop MX3S. Just not designed for it.

Edited by numroe
  • Like 2