Fresh rebuild no compresion! Going by rings need help!

2007 yz250f. Fresh top end rebuild

Brand new OEM head, piston, rings, cylinder, valves.

Only has 40 pounds of pressure with cams removed and all valves closed!

Any ideas why I have so much compression going past the rings? Did a leak down and you can hear the air going into the bottom end. All rings are clocked exactly as the manual says need some help..

You can't do an accurate compression test without the cams installed as air can not be drawn into the cylinder to be compressed!

Edited by Vintage Not Pimpage

Yes I soaked the piston with the rings on it before installing and coated the inside of the cylinder very well. Also I can kick it over without any cams in it which is very weird...

You need the cams in. If it's got no air in then it's beginning the compression stroke with vacuum. Never heard of this approach. Keep going.

Can you confirm that the position of the rings are correct?  Did you clock the rings?  Just bringing it up so you verify before installing the cams and check compression.

Jst reading the post here and i take it not clocking the rings correctly you will have low compresion is that rite huh wondered about thwt one

Jst reading the post here and i take it not clocking the rings correctly you will have low compresion is that rite huh wondered about thwt one
Oh ok thanx then