Oil in intake?

Hi I'm new to the forum and new to the DRZ. Picked up a 08' 400s about 2 months ago. Rode it few weeks fine and let it sit for about 2 weeks and couldn't get started. Read some posts in here trying to figure it out but now I need help. I tore carb apart and cleaned. Put back together got started. It had to have throttle wide open. Soon as I let off it died right away. Took apart again cleaned same thing. Took out and had oil in it. Took I take off and oil poured out of it. Any ideas or help would be appreciated 

Oil is over filled so when the motor runs the excess is drawn thru the crankcase vent system into the intake boot. It may be over filled because too much oil was added or because gasoline has migrated into the oil system due to petcock/carb problems.  Drain all the oil and add correct fresh amount.  Fix any fuel leak problems. (leaky petcock and/or carb float valve)

When you park the bike where do you leave the petcock fuel valve lever?  Are you familiar with a vacuum operated fuel shut-off valve?

I'm right in the middle of fixing this problem. Could you elaborate on the O-ring in the carb fix please? Thank you.

buy a rebuild kit man, make sure it has the needle/seat 'assembly' cheaper ones wont .. in the future if your going to let it sit more than a day or two, drain the float bowl ......

Ok thanks. Will have to drain it out then. And change. Seemed to be quite a bit of oil in the rubber boot between filter and carb though. When I pulled it off it poured out. Smelled like gas and oil mixed. I also changed the o-ring yesterday while cleaning carb. So after oil change will see how it goes. Thanks. And no I'm not familiar with vac. Carb. It reading up here I see that I made the mistake and left it on prime. 

I have to kick myself not to come down hard on people that don't understand ON, RES, PRI.  It's old to me but still new to you.  Both ON and RES are off  when the motor is not runnning (no vacuum signal to open the petcock).  PRI bypasses the off valve when you want gas to flow when the motor is not running. Usually to fill a dry carb after storage or rebuild.  When the petcock selector lever is on PRI, the gas is always on.  The carb does not have an overboard over flow because of emissions regulations so any gas leakage leaks internally into the motor.  Unfortunately the vacuum petcocks are not very reliable to stop gas flow even when set to ON or RES not running.  You can test this by disconnecting the fuel line with the lever set to ON and run a hose into a catch can and let it sit over night.  Other than an initial dribble of gas in the hose, there should be no accumulation of gas in the catch can overnight.

• Like 1

Ya didn't know there was a prime. Never seen one on a Petcock before. I left it where the guy I bought it from had it. 

Thank you all for the information though. 

Ok I got another question. I drained the oil and it was full of gas. Probably about a Gallon! Should I fill it up with oil  turn it over a few times and drain and refill to flush it out? And if so can I leave the carb off? 

Edited by JEFRO1

When mine did it I just drained the oil good , tipping the bike left and right to get as much out as possible ,put in a new oil filter, then just filled back up and went for a good long ride and not beat the crap out of it for the first bit , the full temps burn off any fuel that may be left ,just like any water that gets in the oil from condensation we get up north in colder weather . Make sure your air cleaner isn't saturated as well. I don't think a double oil change is necessary .

Ok thanks. I was surprised at how much came out of the damn thing!

I changed mine out after 250 miles. I kept feeling and smelling it. I'm happy enough with my decision. I probably rode it 50 miles with old fuel tainted oil before I realized. Hope I didn't do too much damage. Running strong for now.

I wa thinking of running some oil

in it for a few minutes and draining it. Cost me another $30 for filter and oil. But worth it right?

You can pick up 2 qts of motorcycle oil at Autozone or Advance for about $12 and a filter for about $6 - $8 too.Try the NAPA PS7931 or Wix 57931 they each come with the small inner and filter cover o-rings too.

I'd say run it at least 20 miles. At least get it good, hot and well circulated.