Sign in to follow this  

Just looking for some info

I have never owned a Honda beside a xr100 for the girlfriend good little bike. I have owned yz250f wr450 rmz450 kx125...... blah blah but never a Honda I know they use a single overhead cam, my buddy had one for a year or two and he was always complaining about having to adjust his valves all the time he said if he didn't it would be a pain starting(probably jetting he didn't know his way around a bike just how to ride). I think he had his valves done 3 time before I even touched mine (yz250f). Anyways I was looking to trade my ktm 300 for a four stroke and a crf450r came up I just wanted to get some info on it. BTW it would mainly be used on trails little track.IMG_1493170533.452026.jpg

Yes I run a 450r on trails love it its best to do a few mods to make it better I've had a 06 an 10 and I'm on a 15 now all crf450r get the suspension set for your weight and riding style Change gearing I run a 13-51 then I recommend skid plate and hand guards the hardest part with valves is most guys come off a two stroke and you don't ride a four stroke the same Use the torque it has by shifting up you don't have to slip clutch to get rpms up keep air filter clean and i say again keep air filter clean most people guys don't but I run marvels mystery oil in my gas about 4ounce for 5 gals And I change my oil alot on my 06 I got 280 hrs no valve issues my 10 235 hrs no issues and my 15 134hrs still in spec

the valve issue is once they start moving, they will move a lot and fast. They are titanium so once they get past their coating they are essentially junk. That problem can be fixed with a set of stainless steel valves. I convert all the bikes I put valves in over to stainless

I have a 2011 450 and love it. I took it on some trails but it overheated a lot the bikes run hot and you need to get on the throttle and get some air movement to cool it down I run engine ice in it. I put a brand new fast heads head on mine last year so I haven't seen any valve issues yet. Good luck you'll love the bike

• Like 1

How dose it ride, like where dose it make its power at where dose it like to be? Also compared to other 4 strokes you've owned dose it feel like your always putting more into it(time money effort). I just got another offer for a 2006 yz450 but never owning a honda I wanna give her a shot.

Edited by nopo530

Crf450 makes power everywhere lol as eak stated. ... lots of torque in low end, no need for clutch slip just twist the wrist. As RS stated, once you go to ss valves no more issues. I'm in FL so I jet my 06 kinda fat to prevent overheating issues

• Like 1

What year is it? They can be made into a good, if not great trail bike; they over heat so you need (or should get) over size radiators, a 1.6 bar cap, weighted flywheel (I  use a +13oz), get suspension done for trail. If you really want to go nuts, get a Rekluse. Change gearing to maybe 13/50. If you want longer range, a larger tank.They make a ton of power down low. I can typically just stick it in 3rd. and truck around. 

• Like 1

I don't think he ever did say the year. Any of you guys know? I'll be sure and ask when I talk to him agin.

04-07.  I would need better pictures to say the exact year, I'm leaning towards 04 though.