Gentlemen I need some advice. I just parted ways with my 10 crf450r. I was toying with the idea of a ttr230. How is the power? How's the reliability?

Thanks in advance.

Braaaaap braaaaap 

I had an '07 TTR230 for the wife to ride. Granted, that's probably a bit older than what you're looking for. Reliable... for the most part, but the 230 is Yamaha's 'bike on a budget". Definitely don't expect it to be up to par with a WR or YZ 250F in terms of power or quality. Air cooled, and it ran HOT from the day I bought it new. Cheaper parts, including spark plug cap (it grounded out), chain adjusters was the type you rotate to tighten the chain, which always bothered me. The 6th gear was nice for speed, but 1st gear was virtually useless. She always started out in 2nd because 1st was SO SLOW. Not bad for the price savings, but in terms of reliability, you may want to consider a 250F, IMO. We sold the TTR and bought her a CRF250R. She's much happier with it.

We are lacking a bit of info as to what goals you have in mind but I think you will be wildly disappointed. But to answer your questions specifically, power will be something like 60 hp to 16, with and increase in weight from about 240 lb to 270 lb (drastic loss in power/weight ratio). It will feel worse due to the loss in suspension travel and quality. Reliability will go way up--the ttr's are bullet proof there. About the only good news in the comparison.

• Like 1

Yep, going from a Porsche to a Pinto.  What is your end goal?

• Like 1

I had one I picked up for $250 with a bad piston. I dual sported it for cruising town and light trail riding. Was a great put put bike.IMG_1571.JPGIMG_1569.JPGIMG_1570.JPG

• Like 1

I do most of my riding on the trails and the crf450r was way too much but fun as shit. I'm 6'2 about 190lbs and I'm worried that the ttr will not produce enough power for my size.

It's like a jeep vs a stadium truck. I have a yz 250f, crf 250r and the ttr 230. Wait for a deal and try it. Mine is a 2012. Got it for 1700 like new from a 67 yr old man. It's great in its own way. It's great for guest riders, the wife, and I can ride the neighborhood woods with no complaints, starts in a flash every time. It's also easy on tires, gas and my ass! NO MORE MX!!! Way too soft. First gear is a granny gear that's impossible to stall. 6th will cruise at top speed of an mx bike. 3rd will pull out of idle speed up a hill. Almost no maintenance compared to the race bikes.
The bad... no grunt, won't kick a roost. You may drag a boot in the wrong dip on the side of a hill. If you use it for what it was designed to do you'll love it. Side note, I ran a scramble in January in soft terrain with a bad front tire. Crashed alot. I got beat by a very old fat man in overalls a two foot long beard and a skull cap. I wa s on a cr 125. I sold that bike after that.

• Like 1

I meant to say a 250x. Also the crf 230 is faster, stiffer and has a full frame and will match your red gear.

• Like 1

I do most of my riding on the trails and the crf450r was way too much but fun as shit. I'm 6'2 about 190lbs and I'm worried that the ttr will not produce enough power for my size.

Why not buy a trail specific 450? Of course the CR was a handful on the trail, that's not what it was designed for. A 450X, WR or something similar would be much better mannered.

4 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Why not buy a trail specific 450? Of course the CR was a handful on the trail, that's not what it was designed for. A 450X, WR or something similar would be much better mannered.

What he said.  You should probably be looking at the offroad-enduro versions:

WR250F/WR450F

YZ250FX/YZ450FX

CRF250X/CRF450X

KLX450R (produced for '08-09 only)

RMX450Z (very rare)

KTM 250/250/450/500 XCF-W or EXC

Husqvarna FE 250/350/450/501

Beta RR 350/390/430/480 or RS 350/390/430/500

So fellas heres the update. I ended up picking up this beautiful 2015. It's super clean, low hours and the price was great! It's not the fastest I have rode but it is fun as shit.

I appreciate all the info I received.

20170528_091211.jpg.85d278dbe7366113320859ba1017fe8c.jpg

• Like 2

Beware of a replacement oil filter issue!

Search the TTR sub-forum for the specifics but as an 'heads-up' :

Edit: here's a recent thread: 

After performing an oil change on a neighbor's bike and learning of this a few days later I had some anxious moments until I confirmed all was ok!

For whatever reason there were packaging errors on oil filters for this bike which in the worse case scenario can lead to an oil starved engine/seizure.

(wrong filter in box despite correct part number stamped on the box)

The proper replacement element has 4 small holes on the engine side.

The 'filter' that comes as original OEM is a very crude screen mesh (cleanable)

the replacement is a paper/fiber element similar to what is used in most MX bikes.

There is also an oil weep bolt on the cylinder head which you can check for pressure immediately following an oil change.

Seeing a K&N decal on the gas tank, if so equipped with that type of air filter,

replace it with a quality oiled foam air filter (and inspect the air boot for fine dust that made it past the K&N...)

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

Thank you for the heads up. I'm actually going tomorrow to the yamy dealership to pick up some oil and a filter.

Another issue I've read about in the TTR section is an assembly error on some bikes ('15 or '16)

in which the crankcase vent tube port was not completely drilled thru the airbox wall, thus allowing pressure to build up.

A forum member / TTr230 owner had experienced a countershaft seal blowing out on a brand new bike due to excess pressure.

• Like 1

Edit:

here's the thread on the troubleshooting of that issue, OP later mentions he received a recall notice from Yamaha for all 2015 TTr230.

Edited by mlatour

On 4/26/2017 at 6:12 AM, MikeyCRF said:

Depends on the types of trails/terrain you like to ride.  The primary problem with the TTR is how the power comes on.  It is very soft and slow revving, which can be both a blessing and a downside, depending on the rider.  This means the bike is completely unthreatening for newer riders but it makes it more difficult to get up and over logs and technical terrain sometimes.

I have a 250F, which has a nice bottom end torque and more than enough power to lift the front tire over logs and technical obstacles.  My wife has a TTR and we have several friends who also have TTRs.  Several of these people flat out love their 230's but I find the bike too soft and squidgy for my liking.  It certainly will go over any terrain we have thrown it at.

• Like 1

Oil change completed! o.e.m oil filter in, unfortunately the previous owner had a cheap paper filter in . The bike is running great. I'm really enjoying the ttr compared to my previous bikes.

On 5/30/2017 at 10:38 PM, MikeyCRF said:

So fellas heres the update. I ended up picking up this beautiful 2015. It's super clean, low hours and the price was great! It's not the fastest I have rode but it is fun as shit.

I appreciate all the info I received.

20170528_091211.jpg.85d278dbe7366113320859ba1017fe8c.jpg

Nice score. In the past two years, I've had a 2001 RM125, 2003 CRF450R, 2002 CR250R, and a 2012 TTR230. I still have the CR250R...and the lowly TTR230. I LOVE my 230. Polar opposite of my CR, but it's torquey and bombproof. I split riding time on them pretty equally-but if I'm going somewhere I've never been to ride, it's the 230.

I'm not as tall as you are (5'11"), but here are a few suggestions to really bring out the best in the TTR:

Stiffer fork springs-Cannon Racecraft can fix you up.

Heavier fork oil.

Remove the air box snorkel, and re-jet the carb.

Up one tooth on the countershaft sprocket-makes every gear much more usable.

I put an RSW upper triple clamp on my TTR-adjustable bar mounting position, gets the bars out of your lap.

Check/adjust valves.

Good tires-if it still has the Pirellis, they're not so great. The rear isn't terrible. :)

I'm eventually going to get my rear shock revalved, or replace it. It isn't awful, but it does rebound pretty fast if you ride aggressively at all.

I put an aftermarket exhaust on mine, because the original exhaust was pretty beat. It did pick up a little bottom end...noticeable.

And check the spoke tension frequently. The wheels are a little bit on the weak side.

Enjoy the bike!

redbird.jpg

• Like 2

Very nice, thanks for the recommendations. I'm on the hunt for an exaust. I have been checking out the FMF'S.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MikeyCRF said:

Very nice, thanks for the recommendations. I'm on the hunt for an exaust. I have been checking out the FMF'S.

I bought one of the Chinese FMF wannabe exhausts on eBay-$170ish. Does the job. Didn't have too much money to throw at the TTR, I was doing a total rebuild of the CR at the time. Search the TTR thread for 230 mods-if you do nothing else, the snorkel removal/re-jet/countershaft mods will blow your mind. Different bike, no joke.