Seems like a pretty good deal with the way bikes are priced around me.

What are y'alls thoughts on kx250s? I currently ride a CR250, but I've been looking to add another smoker, just wondering how the kx's handle?Screenshot_2017-04-26-00-23-52.png

No way is any KX250 gonna out handle your 2003 CR250.

Ended buying it, handling isn't as good, but I really like the bike so far. Still kept my CR though, no plans on selling that.
  • Like 1

On 4/27/2017 at 10:59 PM, Dklassen said:

This was a fairly recent write up. 

http://motocrossactionmag.com/bike-tests/reviving-one-of-the-worst-bikes-ever-testing-the-stomp-and-turn-2006-kx250

you be the judge. 

You'll be hard pressed to find a better handling 250 2 stroke than what you have now.

What a bunch of bitches over at MXA.  All this bike needed was a set of triple clamps.  RG3 sells them with 21.5mm offset and the 02 L series 125 and 250 came with a 22mm set.  Somehow they bolted on all kinds of other garbage they didn't need and couldn't bother to try correcting the front end geometry.  The 24.5mm clamps this guy used were not in the ball park, just like stock.

Mine turns just fine.  Only 250 I've ever ridden that handles like a 125.  Currently running the 22mm clamps.  Got some RG3 hardware on the way with 21.5mm offset just because they came up at a good price.  I don't expect a significant difference from another .5mm.

• Like 1

Pardon my lack of knowledge, but what is it that made the handling bad?

Again, maybe just lack of knowledge here, but that article IMO sounded like they were just complaining that the bike wasn't set up right. I've never raced, or even been on a track (don't care to be, either), so I guess I'll never quite understand all of what the article said. Doesn't seem quite fair to change a front end, complain about that, and then blame it on the '06 KX.

I've loved every kx I've owned (4) and feel like they're everybody's excuse to complain about something. The ugly step child. Which, I must admit, is what I dig about Kawasaki.

A lot of people blame the head angle, which is nonsense.  Lots of bikes run in the 26 degree range.  The stock setup doesn't bear enough weight on the front wheel and the steering geometry with the 25mm offset makes the tire too prone to oversteer and washing out on flat corners.

James Stewart used to run his rear wheel all the way back on his 05 SR250.  Back in the 125cc days he would run the longer KX250 swingarm on his 125.  These changes also bear more weight on the front tire.