Ok guys the new revised Cr85 forks delivered today as loaner to test. Mid valve spacer to disable it ,gold valve with triple rate stack,5wt oil. This valving is nowhere on racetec chart. Compering it to my other Cr85 forked bike way more plush, but only 15min ride. Tomorrow 100 mile test nasty two track jeep road , plus long hard single track up  steep trails. I already know should be good, but will report if only better. Or no room for improvement because perfect.

• Like 3

Waiting patiently for those results, then it will be time to get busy myself.
Thank you Baja .

Ok Mr snake and Baja Hooter. Only 76 miles today. I never change my Opinion on the Cr85 forks. They worked good the day I bolted them on. Only because Im running the comp adj full soft with no bottom out problems. Is why I believe they have more to offer. In the 76 miles pounding rocks,washouts,Extreme single track (better for a horse then Moto). With Mikes forks way more plush then mine,No bottom out,still Comp adj at softest setting 3 riders tested it. With spacer to disable most of mid valve,completely removed hard spot in middle of stroke. Rebound 1 turn in from full soft. So now we have all shims to revalve my gold valves,we will do still lighter valving. With the goal to get slight bottom out,then need turn comp adj in. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, stevethe said:

Ah not when he changes his opinion a few months later. :lol:

I'm gonna call this work of BTR "continuous improvement" the way the Japanese have for many years!  And I'm gonna stay tuned for further developments.  My joints and the tissue that connects them need all the help they can get!!

• Like 5

11 hours ago, bajatrailrider said:

Ok Mr snake and Baja Hooter. Only 76 miles today. I never change my Opinion on the Cr85 forks. They worked good the day I bolted them on. Only because Im running the comp adj full soft with no bottom out problems. Is why I believe they have more to offer. In the 76 miles pounding rocks,washouts,Extreme single track (better for a horse then Moto). With Mikes forks way more plush then mine,No bottom out,still Comp adj at softest setting 3 riders tested it. With spacer to disable most of mid valve,completely removed hard spot in middle of stroke. Rebound 1 turn in from full soft. So now we have all shims to revalve my gold valves,we will do still lighter valving. With the goal to get slight bottom out,then need turn comp adj in. 

I would like to find out more about how this spacer for the mid valve works

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, ROD Kerry said:

I would like to find out more about how this spacer for the mid valve works

Ok Rod I will explain the best I can.Please note Im using Forks from Mikes bike for this test.So I will do mine very soon with pictures and spec. The Mid valve on Cr85 fork has 4 shims. Honda designed it to aid comp. stack for motocross. They where thinking they could not get enough comp out of base valve.This is a Motocross thing,end result for a trail bike,simple way to much comp.I was told you can not completely disable it.You remove two shims,then a spacer (I will give spec soon on that). It is installed to allow more oil to enter mid valve to partly disable it. You guys that are racetec lovers you already know what we think of there Knowledge.For trail riding clueless as you buy gold valve,it cannot work unless.You mod mid valve,even if you go by there.Specs with gold valve,or you believers of there susp bible. Yes they have some good info but leave out the part that you need. Since racetec Shop has done 3 bikes for me,and made my susp worst then when it came in.There guild better in the trash that comes with gold valve. I have a lot of work ahead of me,as I will also do. My other CR forked 230 with stock moded base valve. We will do Mid valve mod to it also. To see if we can improve it without gold valve. There is nothing wrong with the Cr fork as it was. Its just we ride long hours in the saddle. The winner in Baja is the one least beat up. On yesterdays extremely hard ride one trials tired 230 rider.Had 5 get offs,once over the side. Had to drag bike down in canyon,he had to go back many miles.To start over again even Mike former Champion factory rider 4 big time get offs. I was lucky this time only one time trapped like a rat under bike. Nobody saw me so does not count JAAAA!     

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bajatrailrider said:

Ok Rod I will explain the best I can.Please note Im using Forks from Mikes bike for this test.So I will do mine very soon with pictures and spec. The Mid valve on Cr85 fork has 4 shims. Honda designed it to aid comp. stack for motocross. They where thinking they could not get enough comp out of base valve.This is a Motocross thing,end result for a trail bike,simple way to much comp.I was told you can not completely disable it.You remove two shims,then a spacer (I will give spec soon on that). It is installed to allow more oil to enter mid valve to partly disable it. You guys that are racetec lovers you already know what we think of there Knowledge.For trail riding clueless as you buy gold valve,it cannot work unless.You mod mid valve,even if you go by there.Specs with gold valve,or you believers of there susp bible. Yes they have some good info but leave out the part that you need. Since racetec Shop has done 3 bikes for me,and made my susp worst then when it came in.There guild better in the trash that comes with gold valve. I have a lot of work ahead of me,as I will also do. My other CR forked 230 with stock moded base valve. We will do Mid valve mod to it also. To see if we can improve it without gold valve. There is nothing wrong with the Cr fork as it was. Its just we ride long hours in the saddle. The winner in Baja is the one least beat up. On yesterdays extremely hard ride one trials tired 230 rider.Had 5 get offs,once over the side. Had to drag bike down in canyon,he had to go back many miles.To start over again even Mike former Champion factory rider 4 big time get offs. I was lucky this time only one time trapped like a rat under bike. Nobody saw me so does not count JAAAA!     

looking forward to the pics for more details, I am also working on the CR125 fork conversion pics

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 1:45 AM, bajatrailrider said:

Ok guys the new revised Cr85 forks delivered today as loaner to test. Mid valve spacer to disable it ,gold valve with triple rate stack,5wt oil. This valving is nowhere on racetec chart. Compering it to my other Cr85 forked bike way more plush, but only 15min ride. Tomorrow 100 mile test nasty two track jeep road , plus long hard single track up  steep trails. I already know should be good, but will report if only better. Or no room for improvement because perfect.

Did you ever disassemble both base and mid valves and inventory what shims you currently have?

I'm learnding allot over in the Suspension forum.  The Base Valve controls most of the Compression damping whilst the mid valve is there for rebound.  Sounds like you opened up the "Float" on the mid valve.  This will only help when the valve starts moving or is changing directions, it delays any damping effect momentarily until the float gap is taken up.  Might you know how much float gap you have now?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MetricMuscle said:

Did you ever disassemble both base and mid valves and inventory what shims you currently have?

I'm learnding allot over in the Suspension forum.  The Base Valve controls most of the Compression damping whilst the mid valve is there for rebound.  Sounds like you opened up the "Float" on the mid valve.  This will only help when the valve starts moving or is changing directions, it delays any damping effect momentarily until the float gap is taken up.  Might you know how much float gap you have now?

Yes MM on all counts.I dont know what fork your referring to but this is what I was told. On CR85 fork The Mid valve does effect Comp. Here is the spec on spacer. Thick .033    o/d .400    i/d .265   float gap 3mm.You remove two of the four shims in mid valve. (There all same size) I forgot this is on my other Non gold valve 230/Cr85 fork bike I did today.The mods to base valve remove 6 of 11 shims (Again there all same size) We also drilled out intake and out let holes. Problem on drilling intake hole you cant drill it all the way down as it will hit metering pin. For Oil on this fork I used rear shock oil 3wt. 4 in from top. Here is end result of this work way more plush no mid stroke hard hit. It will be hard for me to test if this fork is as good as Racetec gold valved forks. Because my bike has Motocross front tire and trials tire on rear,so mine you cant feel wash board. Other bike Im talking about has dunlop front tire and Trackmaster new rear tire. Both these tires are hard like a rock. Rear tire has only 4psi feels like 12 psi. Would I recommend these mods to any 230 forked Cr85   100%. The mod frees up first part of travel,and removes hard part 3 to 5 in down from top. I need more testing on this bike but so far very happy. I will post pictures when I get a chance. 

• Like 1

Pictures on Mid valve and mod. Lower pictures base valve hole drilling59034c69974de_IMG_20170427_125546048midvalve.jpg.82598b41ee769d22ea2873a6f6f90e92.jpg59034ca83e7e5_IMG_20170427_130320156basevalve.thumb.jpg.0836009f6092427c6da4051783e31f2b.jpgL59034cec4d315_IMG_20170427_130346838basevalve.jpg.e14cbe0f93f50cb134f909cb2d71d375.jpg

Edited by bajatrailrider
More Info
  • Like 2

Today I did mid stack mod to my gold valved forks, Tomorrow we revalve the gold valve to Mikes fork. We will leave out one more hi speed shim,to see if we can get it to bottom out. Then be able to turn in Comp Adj.

Question was asked regarding difference in midvalves, here's a pic:

CR80 ( I believe 96 vintage) on the left and CRF150R on the right. The 150 valve has rebound and comp stacks.

590e0fd2005ed_CR85vsCRF140RMidValve.jpg.84aac577c30ff5645784828ff25b3592.jpg

Edited by Chuck.

1 minute ago, bajatrailrider said:

The one on Left side looks like my 03 and 06 Cr85 base valve.

Except it is the mid valve. Bigger Picture:

590e18874abde_CR80vsCRF150RMidValvesa.jpg.679f4aaa960f19adba9c7331316fd4c5.jpg

CRF150R Base & Mid590e18e11cdfd_CRF150RForkValves.thumb.jpg.eb58ae380a85c1c16a88a5ef022342c3.jpg

CR80 vs CRF150R Mid Valves a.jpg