What RTV to use for water pump fix?

Hey!

I just recently bought a Drz and the first fix I am doing is the water pump fix (because coolant is seeping) I just ordered all the required parts and should be delivered in about a day or two.

My question is, what type/ brand of RTV is best for this mod? I have a ton of left over HondaBond HT that I have used on a previous build. However my friend that did the mod to his Z says that he would only trust Permatex RTV. Just trying to figure out so I don't have to waste money buying more sealant that I don't need.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

-Trevor

Hey!
I just recently bought a Drz and the first fix I am doing is the water pump fix (because coolant is seeping) I just ordered all the required parts and should be delivered in about a day or two.

My question is, what type/ brand of RTV is best for this mod? I have a ton of left over HondaBond HT that I have used on a previous build. However my friend that did the mod to his Z says that he would only trust Permatex RTV. Just trying to figure out so I don't have to waste money buying more sealant that I don't need.
-Trevor

Blue rtv permatex worked perfectly on my yz125
I waited about an hour before adding coolant so it cured a little bit!

I prefer Ultra Gray.  All of the "ultra" RTV's are tougher. Ultra Gray is the toughest.  It can me Permatex or other brand.

Image1493224347.676064.thumb.jpg.d2eb6737230b9dcf3cb7655d62cacd29.jpg thanks for the replies guys! My main question is that I want to know if the hondabond will suffice?
-Trevor

Try it if it dosent then try a diffrent brand

Try it if it dosent then try a diffrent brand

That sounds like a pretty good idea, however I would like to make sure this works 100% the first time. I will be going on a riding trip with some friends in about a week, so I just want to make sure that I do this the right way. I may just go out and get some Ultra Rtv from Permatex. I just figured that I would ask about the Hondabond because I could save a few bucks!

I do not actually Know what Hondabond HT is.  I associate Hondabond and Yamabond with a case sealer that is different than RTV.  

Please clarify what you mean by ordered all the required parts?  What did you order? What exactly are you trying to fix?  A cover leak or the traditional rotating water pump shaft seal.

I do not actually Know what Hondabond HT is.  I associate Hondabond and Yamabond with a case sealer that is different than RTV.  
Please clarify what you mean by ordered all the required parts?  What did you order? What exactly are you trying to fix?  A cover leak or the traditional rotating water pump shaft seal.

The fix is for the impeller shaft seal. I ordered the hot rods water pump rebuild kit, clutch cover gasket, some o rings and circlips, some Engine Ice.....my friend did this to his bike so he told me what to order.
  • Like 1

Generally  "rebuilding" the water pump is a lost cause.  The RTV fix requires only the RTV and a case cover gasket.  If the water pump needs more parts, it is advisable to replace the pump as a unit.  This opinion has been born out many times.  The key element that is difficult is pressing in the carbon face side of the mechanical seal into the pump body. Has to be perfectly square and undamaged.  You might get lucky. The whole point of the RTV fix is it requies no pump parts.

Hey!

-Trevor

GET A GAKSET PLEASE I JUST OPENED MY RAD AND FOUND BLUE RTV FOLTING AT THE TOP SUCKS BUT I DIDNT KNOW...

GET A GAKSET PLEASE I JUST OPENED MY RAD AND FOUND BLUE RTV FOLTING AT THE TOP SUCKS BUT I DIDNT KNOW...

Ahh that sucks! Yes I did buy the gaskets and stuff. My friend and I agreed to not do it before our ride because it's not leaking that much and we didn't want to risk making it worse right before our ride!!
-Trevor