yz450fx reliability

i have had my 17 450fx for over a month now and this bike has by far exceeded my expectations. so much so that i decided not to get a 17 ktm 300. i ride a lot of very technical and remote ST in the summer. just wanting to know how many hours and miles are you guys seeing out of the new yamaha 450s without issues and is there any common problems to look out for.

• Like 1

The front wheel bearings aren't sealed on the Yamahas, so keep an eye on those.

• Like 1

My 16 450FX has 85 hours when I checked the valves. They are all in spec. Who knows, with proper care I could see 200 to 300 hours without head work.

• Like 1

2200 miles...wheel bearings, swingarm bearings the rest was normal wear; rear brake pads, tires, grips, chain and sprockets. I would give this bike an A+ when it comes to dependability and build quality. Always starts. 

83.3 on my 16 so far. All but 5 as a snowbike.  Ridden hard. Pinned for minutes at a time.  Had it checked at 60 hrs. Valves were in spec and leakdown was 5 percent. Hoping to get another 25hrs or so before the snow melts then i'll check it again.

Bricks, manhole covers, and driveways have about the same failure rate as most Yamahas.  Sundials are slightly less dependable.

Seriously, though, there is some kind of deeply embedded corporate drive to achieve complete reliability, and it's what kept me riding the blue bikes through all the years when everything else was faster, or lighter, or better handling, or cooler.  This last beast ('06 YZ450F) had over 300 hours on it when I finally tore it down for a gearbox mod and replaced the piston and rings, reusing the original cylinder.  Never once quit or broke a single thing.

• Like 3

thats what i was hoping to hear this is my first yamaha dirt bike. so far the fx is an amazing all around bike the suspension and feel of the bike is awesome. i plan on keeping this one !!

• Like 1

Bear in mind, having bragged about them and all, that the YZF, YZFX, and even the milder mannered WRF are all very high output engines, and are thus subject to a great deal more stress than your mom's Malibu is.  At the honest 58 HP a new YZ450F produces, it's pumping out over 128 HP per liter, or 2.15 per cubic inch.  That's a lot.  When I started dirt track racing in the late '60's, numbers like that weren't even achievable with an engine that could remotely be considered tractable enough for dirt bike use. Forget about having usable low end power, never mind lots of it.  And the idea that you would reach that kind of power by running the engine out beyond 9000 RPM was impossibly ridiculous, and if you were then to assert this could be done with the current level of reliability, you would have been locked up as dangerously delusional.

What I'm getting at is that in spite of the engineering feat these bikes represent, they will not suffer neglect for very long.  Keep your oil fresh, and your filters clean, and don't cut corners on maintenance.

• Like 2

Got 45 hours on my 16 450FX, almost entirely race hours. Not a spec if trouble out of it. Frequent oil and filter changes, and clean air filter are keys to longevity.

On 4/26/2017 at 7:06 PM, Needpowder said:

83.3 on my 16 so far. All but 5 as a snowbike.  Ridden hard. Pinned for minutes at a time.  Had it checked at 60 hrs. Valves were in spec and leakdown was 5 percent. Hoping to get another 25hrs or so before the snow melts then i'll check it again.

Make that 86? This season just keeps giving!

IMG_7782.JPG

• Like 1

Make that 86 This season just keeps giving!
IMG_7782.JPG.e793701dada29475654f6a23fbb78660.JPG

We haven't gotten that much snow I last 15 years combined. Lol. Looks awesome!

19 minutes ago, RichDawson said:

We haven't gotten that much snow I last 15 years combined. Lol. Looks awesome!

Ya. It's been a hell of a year. Brighton reported 640 inches of total snowfall and closed last week. Snowbird is at 575 inches and counting. When I got home last night my wife told me "i hate that bike"?

• Like 1