YZ450FX Gearing for Motocross

I did my first motocross at Hangtown last weekend! I had a blast but could not get better than a mid-pack start. Obviously my lack of experience played a huge factor, but I also hate this wide ratio transmission. Sure it's awesome for the desert, but it's too gappy for woods and motocross, in my opinion.

Anyways, I'm considering playing around with the gearing. Problem is, I don't know which way to go.

On my first race start, second gear felt way too low. It seemed like I had to grab 3rd much sooner than anyone else.

Second start, I clicked 3rd gear, increased my RPMs, gate goes down and dropped the hammer, but I got a worse start than my first attempt.

Gearing is stock 13/50.

I was thinking about going for a 51 or 52 rear and re-trying my 3rd gear start.

Or going with a 49, and sticking with a 2nd gear start... maybe I could get a little more range out of my 2nd gear and not have to shift to 3rd so fast. 

Or maybe I'm just splitting hairs at this point and should leave it as is? I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Lowering the overall gear ratio narrows the gap between gears, and with the wide ratio, there's plenty of room for that.  A 12 would be a good way to experiment.  If it's just a matter of finding a gear that works on the starts, you could go either way (higher or lower) but if you go higher, the gaps will seem wider than they are.

On 4/26/2017 at 4:06 PM, Krannie McKranface said:

I would try a 12 up front, cause it's cheaper and easier. Same as a rear 53. Should fill in the gaps.

23 hours ago, grayracer513 said:

Lowering the overall gear ratio narrows the gap between gears, and with the wide ratio, there's plenty of room for that.  A 12 would be a good way to experiment.  If it's just a matter of finding a gear that works on the starts, you could go either way (higher or lower) but if you go higher, the gaps will seem wider than they are.

Good idea. I'm going to give that a shot. It should make 3rd more friendly in the corners, while tightening the big gap from 3rd through 5th. It will also lower 2nd on super technical trails and make it more like a motocross 1st. We'll see how it goes.