HELP! Buying Advice please - 2004 KTM 450 SX

https://chico.craigslist.org/mcy/6084848093.html

What do you KTM pros think of this bike? The owner will let it go for $1800.00

Original Owner, bought new at dealership.

- Electric Starter was installed

- Bike was regularly serviced at local shop

- New chain and sprockets

- New tires which have 3 rides on them

- Last year all fluids were flushed and the brakes were bleed, tank and carburetor were cleaned and a new spark plug installed at local shop.

- Owner says he has not ridden the bike since last year and the carburetor as well as tank should get cleaned again and the battery charged.

- Clean title in Hand

Other than that it is suppose to be in excellent shape. I would put the original KTM graphics back on the bike, not liking this METAL MULISHA stuff. :) 

IS THIS A GOOD BUY?

Thanks in advance.

2004KTM450SX.jpg.c8bd984fa7b563c920b470269d46907d.jpg

You could call the dealership to see if what the seller is telling you is true but what about the motor? Has it been rebuild since new? Are you willing to invest in a rebuild? Also suspension probably needs a refresh. The question is "Is it worth it to you?" Hard to tell condition from a picture. Graphics should be the least of your concern

5 minutes ago, AppDawg said:

You could call the dealership to see if what the seller is telling you is true but what about the motor? Has it been rebuild since new? Are you willing to invest in a rebuild? Also suspension probably needs a refresh. The question is "Is it worth it to you?" Hard to tell condition from a picture. Graphics should be the least of your concern

Good advise, thanks very much.

Have not inquired about the motor as of yet. Why would it have to be rebuild since new? I would think this would depend on how many hours, how the bike was ridden? NO? Seller claims thet the bike "was aalways" taken to the shop for service, so I would hope all is in order as long as the shop confirms?

Not sure I understand the question in regards to IF IT IS WORTH IT TO ME? I would imagine buying a used bike in this price range will require some maintenance/work. I for sure do not want to purchase a new bike, as I do not have that kind of money just laying around, and I also do not wish to upset the CFO (aka WIFE) too terribly much. :)

It's Craigslist, so you always have to be a little skeptical about validity of their claims. There's a lot of factors that go into engine condition besides hours, BTW does it have an hour meter? If not, it's a best guess which is not even close to accurate. Plus did he adjust valves, change oil as required, change filters, oil/air, did he race it, did he ride it at the rev limiter, etc. so what I'm saying is don't be disappointed when you have to shell out a $1000 for a rebuild, that's all. Just setting expectations. If you're willing to invest or have the ability to do the work yourself, it may be a great deal but know one knows that but you. Good luck

• Like 1