Throttle cable routing option (with pics)

Hey folks.  First of all, I'm loving this site so far; having a great time collecting DRZ info and already ordered some stuff from the TT Store.  So I did lots of searching in advance but I didn't find a whole lot of pics on the subject.  Short story: I'm putting Renthal CR Highs on my DRZ so I decided to just re-route the throttle cables in advance.  Many folks have said to route them on the right side of the frame so this is what I'm trying right now.  I'm just not sure I like that the cables are almost touching the engine bolts and I'm also not sure about routing farther up towards the front of the frame.  I snapped some pics of my current routing from carb to bars and am just curious if anyone can see anything problematic?

20170426_075929.jpg

20170426_075937.jpg

20170426_075944.jpg

20170426_075957.jpg

In the second pic, I would be replacing the zip tie, tying the throttle and clutch cables together.  Any better options that others have done?  Thanks in advance!

Edited by drifteast
Fixed photo links

Sorry, I just realized that I forgot to mention a key piece: I have Tusk 30mm risers in addition to the CR Highs.  Anyone else with this combo?

I have a similar set-up, high bars and risers.

I left my cable going down the LHS of the frame (as standard) but brought it up across the risers to cut the distance to the twist grip, this how lots of KTM's are btw. 

Without doing this the cable was too tight. Also I have removed the return cable as it had frayed and was becoming in PITA to adjust. I just run a single cable now, much better throttle action.

• Like 1

OK, attempt #2.  From the carb immediately to the left side:

20170429_133343.jpg

Under the tank puck...

20170429_133411.jpg

Top view (I'll be putting a cable tie back to tie it up with the sheathed cable there)...

20170429_133428.jpg

Then in between the risers:

20170429_133435.jpg

Still not sure if that's going to obscure the panel or not.  I tried going to the left of the left riser but that seemed too short.  Will play with it some more later.

Thanks.  I had another look just now.  Do you mean the frame mount?  It's supposed to thread through the center of that?  I almost always take pics before messin' with stuff but I didn't this time...  :banghead:

Sorry, I feel like an idiot, not following...?  Wondering if you mean they cut right through to the other side behind the frame mount but that seems too sharp.  Either that or you mean in here:

20170429_191219.jpg

I'm trying to find pics of stock routing in the meantime.  I just want to get the routing back to stock on the left side then play around with the rest as DrzDick mentioned.

On 4/28/2017 at 4:18 AM, DrzDick said:

I have a similar set-up, high bars and risers.

I left my cable going down the LHS of the frame (as standard) but brought it up across the risers to cut the distance to the twist grip, this how lots of KTM's are btw. 

Without doing this the cable was too tight. Also I have removed the return cable as it had frayed and was becoming in PITA to adjust. I just run a single cable now, much better throttle action.

DrzDick, did you keep to the left of the risers then go above/behind both of them?

Thanks folks.  Hopefully someone besides myself learns something when all is said and done.

9 hours ago, drifteast said:

DrzDick, did you keep to the left of the risers then go above/behind both of them?

I took a quick snap of how the cable runs as I though that would be better than writing about it.:ride:

DSC_0377_zpsvvymyli9.jpg

The pair of white posts are my sat nav support brackets.

It's not cable tied to the brace of the bars (it sort of looks like it is but it's not).

Mine is an E with an FCR carb so there could be some cable differences if yours is an S.

Edited by DrzDick
  • Like 1

Sorry, I feel like an idiot, not following...?  Wondering if you mean they cut right through to the other side behind the frame mount but that seems too sharp.  Either that or you mean in here:

I'm trying to find pics of stock routing in the meantime.  

IMG_20170430_085711614.jpg
IMG_20170430_085721056.jpgIMG_20170430_085844810.jpg

Here is the stock routing.
  • Like 2

Awesome, ohiodrz400sm, that's perfect, thanks!  Very helpful!  And DrzDick, thanks for the photo!  Much appreciated, guys.

Thanks for all the help, guys.  I tried re-routing back to stock then changing things starting at the left side but just ended up with bad bends or insufficient length to play with.  In the end, I decided to route the cables on the right side (my second attempt).  All seems to be well at the moment but I won't know for sure until I get the tank/plastics back on (which is waiting on me finishing the Unabiker rad guards install...).  Anyway, I'm going to put up the final pics in case someone is looking to do something similar.

Starting from the carb.  I didn't like how the push cable was against the frame mount bolt head and I had some protective loom lying around so decided to put a bit on there for extra protection:

20170430_162902.jpg

Re-added the frame zip tie to the clutch cable:

20170430_161120.jpg

Loose zip tie to the clutch cable towards the head:

20170430_161131.jpg

Then just up behind the headlight; I tried going through the cable guide but the bend was way too sharp so I left it loose:

20170430_161143.jpg

And how it looks from behind the bars:

20170430_161158.jpg

Hopefully, once I get it all back together, everything will be cool.  Thanks again.

It is brand new  :D  But this is what happens when you have all winter to read about the various DRZ mods; you get a bunch of 'em at once then have to figure them all out when you finally buy the bike  :ride:

I did a similar think with mine, 328klm on the clock and endless blazing hot days so got a whole stack of mods done but very little riding, I needed a bit more room behind the speedo so added 30mm stand off's to the speedo mounts to move it forward a bit more, I didn't likethe stock cable routing at all so I was able to run the throttle cables behind the speedo, then streight down the RHS under the steering lock, gave it a really good loose routing.

I'll upload a couple of pics tomorrow.

• Like 1