Skid plate suggestions for 2017 TE/TX 250/300

Emperor skid make it Canada so cheap for you US guys. Very well built and can add a linkage guard that goes along whole bottom of skid so asks like a glide plate. Comes with everything mount well foam to isolate noise. Also make some really cool rad guards

IMG_1244.JPG

Thanks for the feedback and the pics. I'm leaning toward the AXP. Has anyone "trail tested" the AXP (i.e. given it a beating)? Has it held up well? Stays mounted? Do you have to remove it for oil changes?

I have 10 hours on my AXP, but it hasn't been in very rocky conditions. It's quite beefy.

Most plastic skid plates are 6 mm thick. The AXP Xtreme is 8mm. I can't imagine it falling off, as it's a three place mounting system. It's quite secure. Yet easy enough to install, but I wouldn't want to have to take it off every time for oil changes.

I just did an oil change with it on. It was quite messy.

To remedy the oil change issue I've just ordered this oil drain tool. I've seen videos of it in use (at the 2:15 minute mark [/url] ) . Looks pretty sweet. We shall see how it works when I get it.

http://slavensracing.com/shop/oil-drain-tool-for-ktm-husaberg-by-str/

I have the Acerbis and really would stay away from it.  Coverage is good and price is good but everything else kind of sucks for my purposes.  Oil changes are a pain, even with flexible drain, so I have to pull it off each time.  I might cut part of the side out so I can leave it on for oil changes.  It has a hole in the bottom that I can't figure out.  It attaches with 2 allen bolts that fill up with dirt, the mounts don't fit well and are very hard to keep in place when installing.  I resorted to electrical tape to try and keep the mounts semi lined up as my wife got sick of helping me.  It also scratches the frame so I put helicopter tape on the frame.  It collects dirt between the stick on pads that are already worn and toast after 40 hours (of course this is an easy fix).   It really seems like it wasn't made for this bike at all.  That being said the Acerbis frame guards are GREAT A+ they go way higher up, easy to install, fit perfectly and have nice grippy feel on the sides.  Even the instructions were poor there are 2 size brackets but are both labeled the same, I called Acerbis USA, they were super responsive, super nice but they weren't sure which bracket went where.  Customer service is great and their other products are but this particular product I wouldn't buy.

I went with the enduro engineering with the add on linkage guard. I like the plate, nothing is going to crack the aluminum and still easy enough to work on the bike. The linkage guard was a bit of a pain in ass to attach. You have to drill holes in the skid plate and then a friction fit thing to hold the allan bolts. I guess I didn't get the friction thing working very well so I threw some jb weld on it. Well lost the linkage guard in the first hour. It's somewhere in Tennessee if anyone finds it let me know. Should have went for an all in one. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, motodr441 said:

i like the force (not starwars )

KT31-RHS.jpg

I have a Husqvarna TE300 with the Force Accessories  Bash/Pipe guard, which I fitted when I bought the bike a year ago. This is what I've found....

Protect your pipe -> 10++++ My expansion chamber is still perfect, so it performs excellent in this regard.

What don't I like...

Well firstly the guard is about 1/2 inch wider than all the other bikes without the guard, so in deep ruts you tend to beach the bike.

It weighs quite a bit...

If you ride in muddy or soft type of terrain, you tend to build up mud and other material behind the pipe and it's held there by the guard. My last enduro race was a mudder and I must have collected about 3 kilograms of mud and crap in the guard. Made the day hard work...

If you are in a dry areas (or during summer for me) and you ride the bike hard on the pipe, ensure to clean out any leaves or dry plant material the minute you stop. My bike almost caught fire in December after a good blast thru the pine forest. Lucky I had a fire extinguisher close by.

Normally, they send you some single sided tape with 3 mm foam to fit on the guard where it touches the frame rails. The tape is Ok, but I've hit a log pretty hard after about 6 months and the bash plate transferred the shock into the frame rail and the dented the frame rail. So, what I've done to remedy the issue, is the use an old tube, cut up pieces of tube that goes between the frame rail and the bash plate. Also used the same tube idea to fit around the back where it hooks over the back frame rail. Since fitting the tube between the bike and bash plate, I've found the bash plate vibrate less and I haven't had any more damage transferred onto the frame.

That aluminium block that fits over the frame rail to fit the bash plate, use some tube as well. It took one ride to completely remove the powder coating of my frame. 

Two weeks ago I made the call to modify my bash plate and pipe guard to allow the mud and debris to fall out easier. Just completed the modifications and as soon as I get my suspension  back I'll test the mods out. I'll post pictures tonight....

• Like 1