Any experience with RMM Shelton Valley Enduro?

Wondering if anyone here has done this enduro before. I will be doing this and don't really no what to expect? Is the terrain difficult? Is it pretty fast paced? Hilly, technical, tight, or flowy?

This will be my second timekeeping enduro, the first one was when I was horrible at dirtbiking 8 years ago and I rode a yz450f and nearly killed myself (finished though!). 

The only enduro computer I will have is a $10 stopwatch.

Looking forward to it, thanks!

Just now, rlucas1986 said:

Wondering if anyone here has done this enduro before. I will be doing this and don't really no what to expect? Is the terrain difficult? Is it pretty fast paced? Hilly, technical, tight, or flowy?

This will be my second timekeeping enduro, the first one was when I was horrible at dirtbiking 8 years ago and I rode a yz450f and nearly killed myself (finished though!). 

I've done the event 6 times.  It's my favorite because of the amazing trail system.  It's 95% pretty tight, twisty singletrack.

You'll spend the majority of your day in 1st-3rd gears in twisty woods with lots of roots spread throughout the course.  

The long course is no joke and you need to be in shape and prepared to spend 5-6 hours in the saddle with it being virtually all singletrack.  The short course has been my choice the past couple of years as it seems just right at around 60 miles and an enjoyable time. 

There are usually a few small technical sections they throw in and a few little hills, but nothing too difficult.  

Lots of good YouTube clips to check it out and see if it suits you. This is a clip from last year's poker run on same course.  I rode my 525 with my son in tow on his GasGas.

I  will say, the PSER club does an outstanding job!  It's always top notch and well done. Always a good turnout and all you really need is a watch and odometer. 

• Like 4

Last year's long course was 7 hours long and 90 ground miles. They have a beginner enduro on Saturday also.  It's shorter like 35 miles and a little easier.

Very good event a can't miss.

• Like 2

So good to hear! And so glad I did the long course!! When I get a full day to ride I intend to take full advantage of it and punish myself as much as possible. If you haven't all loaded up and headed home, please have a cold beer and some monkey butt powder ready for me ;)

Hope to see you guys there!

as mentioned above, there is a beginners enduro with a time keeping class prior to the ride on Saturday. The mileage is usually about 35 miles.

Sunday the "C" loop is usually about 55-60 miles. The "A" & "B" riders loop has been 85-95 miles long. (bring 2 gas cans if you need them)

There is camping available there so ride both days.

Most of the trails are fairly tight single track. Not a lot of hills in this area but they throw in a few. Time & speed averages are pretty easy to do on the beginners. 

For the A, B & C riders probably about a 15mph average over all. some sections will have faster speeds but that is for the special test sections.

Even if you don't play the game and keep time, or can't maintain the speeds. Come on out and enjoy the once a year opportunity to enjoy these pristine single track trails.

Edited by drooling piston
  • Like 2

I sign up just to ride the awesome trails and support a great club! Last year the conditions were perfect and I found several great spots to take a nap!

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Russ Henry said:

I sign up just to ride the awesome trails and support a great club! Last year the conditions were perfect and I found several great spots to take a nap!

I saw Russ napping.  I was jealous

On 4/26/2017 at 2:29 PM, rlucas1986 said:

Computers take 1/2 the fun out it IMO. 

Edited by highmarker
  • Like 2

Just a head's up. The long course can take it's toll.  7 hrs and over 90 miles of singletrack is pretty tough.  Fitness should be up to the task.  

Last time I did it, I had been running and riding all winter and spring and did a 1/2 marathon in February.  The long course was much more difficult! I saw a few folks DNF from exhaustion and someone was transported with heat stroke.  Of course it was 90 that day which didn't help, but it's a challenge for sure.  

• Like 1

I can't even imagine what 90 degrees feels like anymore. Seems impossible. I am in pretty good shape, and I expect it to be extremely difficult. The first enduro I did was insane, and I loved it. Tomorrow I'm doing some Shelton Valley Enduro Prep in TSF looking to get 6+ hours of seat time at a high pace.

My only goals are to finish and not time out of it... and not break things.

25 minutes ago, rlucas1986 said:

I can't even imagine what 90 degrees feels like anymore. Seems impossible. I am in pretty good shape, and I expect it to be extremely difficult. The first enduro I did was insane, and I loved it. Tomorrow I'm doing some Shelton Valley Enduro Prep in TSF looking to get 6+ hours of seat time at a high pace.

My only goals are to finish and not time out of it... and not break things.

If you  want a tune up come ride the Sparkplug enduro this Sunday at Tahuya. 

• Like 1

I was originally going to ride the Sparkplug, but ended up having to back out bc of other family plans. How does the Sparkplug compare?

Sounds like you'll be fine.  It's one of the best places to ride in the NW!  

Waiting for family plans to clear to see if I can make it this year.  Hoping!

12 minutes ago, rlucas1986 said:

I was originally going to ride the Sparkplug, but ended up having to back out bc of other family plans. How does the Sparkplug compare?

Milage and time wise a little shorter, trail wise I think Tahuya beats you up more.

• Like 1

Family plan's . You need to tell the family you have plans to ride on Sunday.  

Only 2 timekeepers this year,  that leaves 50 other Sundays for the family. 

• Like 1

Hey Guys I live in Olympia and am getting back into riding after several years off.... how do you guys find out about these events?

12 minutes ago, clayfarrer said:

Hey Guys I live in Olympia and am getting back into riding after several years off.... how do you guys find out about these events?

Its super secret info , we just don't let anyone know whats going on. 

Just kidding. Go on the NMA website  ( Northwest motorcycle association).

They have a calendar with most of the events . There are a good number of poker runs also. You can also keep an eye on this section of thumpertalk. 

On 4/28/2017 at 7:33 PM, clayfarrer said:

Also NORCS has a great racing series, hare scrambles style.

And OMRA off-road is another great organization that has races all over Oregon and SW Washington.