Steel frame YZ250 with YZ450F swingarm question

OK, I read that the newer 450F swingarm is a upgrade on a YZ250 for unsprung weight savings and maybe other reasons.. Will the later 450F swingarm fit a 02 YZ250 steel frame?.. What would I need for this conversion if it's possible?.. Thanks

I have wondered the same about whether it would work on the '02 to '04 steel frame. I did it on my '08, and these were the parts that were needed: swingarm, linkage (I got the bolts too, but not sure if needed), rear hub, spokes for my '18 rim (spokes were slightly different length for the 450F hub), rear brake caliper/ mount, rear axle, axle blocks... I have seen that some guys use their stock wheel/ hub, axle, and axle blocks. I think you have to make some spacers for the swingarm/ axle, since the 450F uses a larger 25mm axle. However, I think I've read that the rear hub accounts for a decent amount of the weight savings, so it depends on whether you're doing it to shave weight or just for looks (I did it for both)... 

10 hours ago, Chevy_97 said:

...I think I've read that the rear hub accounts for a decent amount of the weight savings, so it depends on whether you're doing it to shave weight or just for looks... 

True; the complete weight savings of approximately 3 lbs. was gained with swingarm (plus axle, blocks, etc.), rear hub, and rear brake caliper & carrier.

I believe there is a thread that has a 4-stroke swingarm in a steel YZ frame. The tricky part may be getting compatible linkage pieces that 1) fit, and 2) give you a ratio that works.

Good luck, and keep us updated with what you find. :thumbsup:

Edited by CaptDan