Sign in to follow this  

1989 XR 600r Rear disc conversion

I was looking to see if a 1992 XR600r swing arm will fit on to my 89? i think 92 was the first year of rear disc but could be wrong, i dont think the xrs changed to much over the years. Thanks!

Yes, it's doable but requires welding the master cylinder bracket to the frame.

There are tons of threads on here covering what parts are needed but you will never find them using the TT search, use Google and they all pop up easily. Here's an example. https://thumpertalk.com/index.php?/topic/265850-XR600-Rear-disk-brake-retrofit

I did this, used an XR 650 L swing arm, bolts right in. Welding a bracket for the master cylinder is simple. You might want to consider using a Yamaha WR master because it has the reservoir integratated into the unit vice the XR master which has a hose and separate reservoir which needs a mount as well.

IMG_0507.JPG

• Like 2

Great job Fingers!
Motivation! I have my 95s rear end. Sold the front end. Kept the rear for this. Would've kept them to put back on for enduro. But then I built an 88 and kept it in dirt trim. So the 95s rear is going on the 88. But there's a handful of things on my to do list than that right now. Ive still never ridden my 88 on dirt. And I wont be aggressive enough to need the difference. This new shoed drum is strong. But I just like custom ish.
Great tip on the WR vs XR master

Yes it will convert I have a rear disc in my 85 ..like the guy said you need to weld brake cylinder on