AC Regulator question

I am installing a new Ricky Stator 200W unit on a 2006 XR650R. I plan on using the dual 100w channel setup. I am currently seeing  10 volts out of the current stock AC regulator and the manual calls for 14. My question is should I be ordering up a new AC regulator or should I slam dunk the new stator in and see if that brings the volts up?

Thanks in advance

Well how much money do you make? Since you already spent three bills on your system, what's a little more? It'll give you confidence I'll tell you that. Was there something wrong with stock Stator? Or you just wanted an upgrade?
My broke butt would put it in and test again. And if I needed a new regulator, I'd get a regulator/rectifier.

• Like 1

May not be a good idea to run 200w thru the stock AC reg, 100 is probably ok. With two systems why not buy a $20 AC regulator off RMC and use two separate circuits. Or a rectifier if you want a DC circuit.

• Like 1

I am installing a KTM DC fan and adding in better lights.

I am running one 100W AC channel and a 100W DC channel so I won't be jamming 200W into the stock reg. My original post wasn't very clear. But I guess I'll just wait and see. 

I ran the same setup, one ac circuit and one dc.  I have since switched to a single 200W output and like dealing with that better.  Get the high capacity RR from Ricky for a 200w output.  

I doubt your reg is bad, but you are going to need more than just the oem one, even if you are all AC.  Or just run a 100w incandescent light all the time.  

26 minutes ago, crypto666 said:

I ran the same setup, one ac circuit and one dc.  I have since switched to a single 200W output and like dealing with that better.  Get the high capacity RR from Ricky for a 200w output.  

I doubt your reg is bad, but you are going to need more than just the oem one, even if you are all AC.  Or just run a 100w incandescent light all the time.  

I am actually a moron. Per the default install for the 200w unit you remove the stock AC regulator and replace it with the DC unit in the kit. So I have the 100w DC channel for lights and fan, and the 100W unit for the rest of the system.

I would assume your oem reg is fine, because otherwise we would need to discuss your meter capabilities, RMS voltages, RPM, did you measure AC or DC, etc.

Running two circuits will give you more voltage ripple and will not allow coils to share loads or heat, and will result in one coil getting hotter than the other.  Eventually the epoxy on the core will fail and it will short internally.

I would also suggest you running 75% capacity as lights.  

I've been running one 100w circuit of a Rickystator through the factory XR600 regulator for several hundred hours without problems.  That circuit does have a 50w headlight bulb as a continuous load.