Need Recommendations

I'm currently looking for a new bike to replace my KX100. I'm 5'4" and weigh about 165lbs with a little less than a years experience on dirt bikes. I chose the KX because of the seat height, suspension, and brakes, but I've found it's not great for the type of trail riding I do. I know trail riding is not the intended purpose of the bike and I'm probably too heavy.

My friends and I ride somewhat technical trails with some single track mixed in. At some point when I get more experience I'd like to try some more challenging trails. The Beta Xtrainer is on my short list but is more than I wanted to spend and it's next to impossible to find one used. I've ridden a CRF230 and really loved the torque and the ergonomics of the bike while standing but the suspension and brakes are garbage. I've also ridden a KTM 300XC and a CRF250X in an open field. I couldn't ride either on the trail at my experience level because my feet don't touch the ground, lol. 

Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm thinking I might prefer the 4-stroke and realize I might need to spend the money to have the suspension professionally lowered. I'm not sure lowering would be a great option though on a bike that comes stock with a 38" seat height. 

You mentioned the xtrainer , that could be a good choice.  If the xtrainer is out of your budget take a look at the kdx200 and 220. Its unfortunate they quite making them in 07 . The kdx is an excellent bike. Reasonable seat height, smooth power, quick turn trail bike. Maybe a ktm 200 and get it lowered? Bikes like the crf230 and ttr230 are good beginner bikes but your beyond those now.

Something else to look at if you want a 4st is the AGP bikes. The PR4 240 extreme is crf230 on steroids. Good brakes and suspension but with a milder motor like the crf230 . I think they have a 35" seat height.  Price wise msrp is $5999. I know someone with the pr3.5. His bike seems to be holding up well. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback, GreenMT.

I'm doing some research on the AJP bikes. I'd never heard of them, but they seem like good bikes from what I've read so far. I'm a little concerned about parts availability since they don't have much of a dealer network yet. I'd definitely be interested in the KDX, they just don't come up for sale very often. There was one on CL last week that was about 2.5 hours away and it sold before I would have had a chance to go look at it. 

Nothing wrong with lowering a bike. Since you ride trails/woods, there's absolutely no reason you'd need all the suspension travel of most modern full sized bikes. Especially considering your experience. I've lowered my 200 XC and it's fantastic in the woods. And I'm shorter than you.

If you're open to both 2t or 4t, the XTrainer is a bike you'll never need to upgrade from. 2t bikes perform superior in the woods. They don't flame out as easily, they don't overheat as easily, they're much easier to start when warm, and they're lighter. And 300 cc's? Trust me, it'll be years before you mange to use all that power.

In your situation (money and height), I'd just suggest the route I took. A 200 or 250 XC, XC-W or something comparable. A 2005-2010 can be had in the $2000-3500 range. In comparison to the Beta, that'll leave you with plenty of wiggle room for suspension mods. You're the perfect weight for the stock spring, so just a service and lowering shouldn't be that much money.

Just my worthless opinion, as usual.

• Like 1

Thanks Bron-Yr-Aur. 

How much did you lower your 200 XC and what did you have done?

Thanks Bron-Yr-Aur.  How much did you lower your 200 XC and what did you have done?

Internally, its lowered about 1 1/2" (38mm). I also installed an XBushing for an additional 3/4", but I personally feel they are overpriced. That $100 would've been better spent on other things, and I could've just had the suspension guy go the additional 1/2-3/4". I also shaved my seat. Although my 28" inseam still can't touch on both sides, its very manageable. And now I can kick start it without having to lower the stand or stand on a rock lol

I posted a pic of it in the ktm 2stroke forum, in this thread...

https://www.thumpertalk.com/index.php?/topic/1224151-Want-to-buy-a-KTM-200-help-me-understand-the-differences

On 4/27/2017 at 11:28 AM, Bron-Yr-Aur said:

Nothing wrong with lowering a bike. Since you ride trails/woods, there's absolutely no reason you'd need all the suspension travel of most modern full sized bikes. Especially considering your experience. I've lowered my 200 XC and it's fantastic in the woods. And I'm shorter than you.

If you're open to both 2t or 4t, the XTrainer is a bike you'll never need to upgrade from. 2t bikes perform superior in the woods. They don't flame out as easily, they don't overheat as easily, they're much easier to start when warm, and they're lighter. And 300 cc's? Trust me, it'll be years before you mange to use all that power.

In your situation (money and height), I'd just suggest the route I took. A 200 or 250 XC, XC-W or something comparable. A 2005-2010 can be had in the $2000-3500 range. In comparison to the Beta , that'll leave you with plenty of wiggle room for suspension mods. You're the perfect weight for the stock spring, so just a service and lowering shouldn't be that much money.

Just my worthless opinion, as usual.

+1.