Sign in to follow this  

Xtrainer Front Brake Pad Spring Question

I was installing a rotor guard and one of the pads came loose and the spring fell out, which I thought would be no big deal.  Wrong again.  I tried installing in the recess at the bottom of the caliper (pin end) and snapped over the lip of the caliper.  The high points on the rotor dragged slightly with the wheel spinning forward and clicked when turned backwards (almost seeming to catch).  Reversed the spring orientation and same thing.  What in hell am I doing wrong?  First thing I've owned with Nissin brakes and I'm stumped.  This should not be that difficult!

Have I bent the spring?  Does it go someplace completely different than where I was trying to put it?

Knowing that this brake set-up is common on Japanese bikes I called the only nearby dealer (Yamaha), figuring I'd just buy a couple new springs and try that.  Unfortunately they did not have one in stock, so that went nowhere.

Thoughts and advice are appreciated.  Thanks.  -Scott

Edited by wsjones

Thanks for the video tutorial.  But I think I figured it out - I had the spring in right but the Acerbis disc guard mount simply doesn't work with the Xtrainer. 

I ordered one for 250/300 RR thinking it would fit, but apparently not the case.  Took it off and put original axle spacer back in and all's fine.

Now for the next post on what mount will fit?!  Thanks again.

Thanks.  I emailed Acerrbis and they confirmed they do not make a mount for Xtrainer, which surprised me.

Edited by wsjones