530 catastrophic engine failure

Hello Thumper talk. A few weeks back I seized my 2010 KTM 530 XC-W 6 days while riding. It just shut off while cresting a roller. I have a Rekluse so it didn't lock up, it just shut off and coasted to a stop. Starter would turn and kick starter was locked in place. So we pushed it out a mile and a half of single track to a nearby dirt road so a truck could 4 wheel drive out to get me. Ends up the exhaust valve broke off and rattled around and destroyed the head and fell down into the cylinder just enough to hit the piston. By hitting the piston on just one side it apparently bent the crank. All of this is what my local KTM dealership told me. He said pretty much worse case scenario total top end and bottom end rebuild. They are a pretty reputable place so I trust that they aren't going after me. So they want $3400.00 to fix it all. New head with all the parts and goodies, new piston, rod and crank. He said the cylinder wasn't damaged but I won't know for sure until tomorrow when I go pick it up. I can't afford to have them do this work right now but my close friend has performed a lot of work like this on all sorts of bikes over the years and says it's no problem we can do it ourselves.  He just finished up a total rebuild on his nephews ktm 65 and rebuilt his top end on his 450 a few years back.  So my question to anyone who will listen is do I go with KTM parts or should I look at aftermarket parts. The dealership quoted me all genuine KTM parts but I'm wondering if that's the best way to go or if there's a better way that you have had experience with. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

• Like 1

top and bottom end... just for the parts... is expensive.  I'd be asking myself if I wanted to spend this amount of money on this particular bike.

$3400 sounds right.. but I think you will be $2000-$2500 in parts if you have the replace the cylinder.     Again, how much do you like this bike.

A few years ago, I had a 2008 KTM 450 that needed lot of work.     It sucked that the bike wouldn't stay running.   I parted it out and got enough money to buy a used KTM300 which I rode for the next few years.    Many of my parts fit on the 300 so not much was wasted.  I had absolutely no problem selling the leftover KTM parts.  I think I made a profit.

Just a month ago I finally got a 500 to replace that 450.  I enjoyed that 300 so much I'm keeping it.

Just something to think about.

• Like 2

I agree, total up the parts before you buy anything and then decide if it's worth spending that much cash on an older bike.  For not much more you might be able to pick up a nice used bike.  Also shop some of the race companies who repair damaged heads, they might be able to fix it for less than the cost of a new one.  Also really inspect the  lower cases and make sure nothing cracked.  The shop's assessment sounds legit, if the exhaust valve broke off then all of that damage is certainly possible.  If you do decide to fix it, I personally am a fan of OEM parts, they tend to work well and hold up well, generally speaking.  

• Like 2

Thanks Trail rider and Sir thump. Ok so the 530 is the newest bike I owned and ridden and it's a much improved bike over my old 2001 520 and I loved it. Be,I eve it or not it has made me a better rider but I've been waiting for this diagnosis for over a month and found a used 501fe with low mikes and a ton of upgrades. I bought it and it's even better than the 530. I didn't think it would be but omg, the fuel injection, how light and nimble it is, the shock and forks, all of it. I have a 38 mile single track out in the desert behind my house and I cut my time down significantly and I swear I'm not as tired after 76 miles. So yes you guys are correct. Problem is I need to sell the 530 to recoup some of the money I spent on the 501. I thought it would be under 2knto fix and it turn around and sell the bike for 5-6k. It has all kinds of upgrades from custom suspension to a brand new Rekluse, BRP polymer triple clamp handler bar mount set up for a Scott's steering stabilizer. All brand new plastic. Full street legal jot and it's licensed for the streets. All that combined with the condition of the bike had the KTM dealer say I could easily get 5k and most likely get 6k or a little more. Do you think I could get 3k for the parts? Or should I sell it as is? You said you parted out your 460, did you sell it on Craig's or eBay? I'm trying to price out the parts now but it's hard to find an online retailer that has everything for this. KTM World has it all and is decently priced but most only have external parts and not internal engine parts. I'm headed in this afternoon to grab it and get it home. 

If you just want to fix it to sell it, look for a used engine or a beater bike with a good engine in it.  That might be cheaper than fixing your engine.  Or just part it out.  I have never had the time for that, but more than once I have seen posts from guys who have parted out bikes and claim they did OK money wise.

The problem with old bikes with tons of mods is, they are still not as good as the stock newer bikes. ;)  Enjoy your new ride!

Edited by sirthumpalot
  • Like 1

I don't know if you were ever gonna get 5-6K for that bike.    It would have to be in PERFECT condition for that.

When I parted out my 450, it took a while.  I eventually found a guy who had the same bike that had blown up and he was looking for parts to put on his bike.   I got luckly.  You can too, but it will take time.

the engine, with the bad cylinder, heads and crank.. its a throwaway.    You may have to pay someone to haul the motor away.   On mine at least the bottom end was good.   

What I did was completely strip the bike down and sell off each piece individually.  You'll get 35 to 40 cents on the dollar at best, but at least you'll get something.   The wheels are worth a few hundered bucks, as is the frame.  All the other stuff will be worth about 35-40 each.    With time and a lot of patience, you may approach 2K... maybe.    Use Ebay, Thumpertalk and KTMTalk to part it out.   It will take some time, but eventually , you get a few bucks.   

But you may not have time because you'll be out riding that 501!

Good Luck.

I wouldn't say the engine is a throwaway, if the cylinder is good $200, head rebuildable, maybe another $100, and lots of people will want the transmission as it will swap into a ton of other bikes (think sx on trails...), and if the cases aren't cracked, I bet you could get $300 all day long.  ETC....

Evaluate the engine yourself and see if it's worth doing the work. I would never get anyone to rebuild my engine, no one will be as detailed as you doing the work on your own engine. Sub out crank work and head work to reputable people but act as general contractor and rebuild your engine to your satisfaction and save some coin at that

I just had a rebuild done at Blais Racing on my 450. Great service ! I can't say enough about how pleased I am.

Pretty steep to replace a bike that is on its last legs. Part it out and get you a new toy. You will LOVE. The new technology. Just my .02 very sorry about your luck. Now they have BETA'S that are fuel AND oil injected if you were inclined to hop on a 2 smoke. Personally I wouldn't know how to ride a deuce but thats why I have a fuel inject thumper. Good luck. 

23 hours ago, bikedude987 said:

I wouldn't say the engine is a throwaway, if the cylinder is good $200, head rebuildable, maybe another $100, and lots of people will want the transmission as it will swap into a ton of other bikes (think sx on trails...), and if the cases aren't cracked, I bet you could get $300 all day long.  ETC....

Maybe...    but its hard to imagine that any parts for that engine would sell quickly.  Most people with those bikes have already sorted out all their engine problems.   People faced with rebuilds on a 8-10 year old bike that cannot do it themselves are gonna really be tempted to get another bike.   

You should offer him $300 for the blown engine.   If he's smart he will take it. Then you can flip it and at least double your money.

The other parts... I do think that they are more universal  (wheels, forks, shock, gas tank, etc...) and will be easier to sell at a reduced price.

Took me a couple of months and a lot of trouble to part out my bike.  I did get back less than I hoped, but a little more than I thought.  Considering all the time and trouble dealing with 20 different buyers taking up my time to negotiate $20 used plastic and crap like that...  I wish I had just sold it cheap to the first guy who offered me money and spent the time riding the bike I had replaced it with.

• Like 2

I'd like to thank everyone who chimed in here. I've read it all and it's helped. I have an outside acquaintance (friend of a friend sort of thing) who heard about it and wants to buy it. He's being very generous or he knows something I don't, either way I'm happy with what I'm getting for it and he's happy for what he's paying for it. Thanks again everyone. 

• Like 1

I think 3400.00 is an out rage!  Frickn crazy.  My 07 CRF 450r blew a counter shaft bearing a few years back and I had it fixed and rebuilt for 1200.00 with new piston, rings, and wrist pin while they replaced the bearing.  

Yup.  Find a used bike with a good (or at least useable) motor, transplant that in.

Or part it out.  I've parted out a few sleds now and it's definitely worth it if you've got the time to deal with it (Photos, research/listing, dealing with moron buyers, packing/shipping).

22 hours ago, SnowMule said:

Yup.  Find a used bike with a good (or at least useable) motor, transplant that in.

Or part it out.  I've parted out a few sleds now and it's definitely worth it if you've got the time to deal with it (Photos, research/listing, dealing with moron buyers, packing/shipping).

If you find that bike with a good motor, then keep that one and move your stuff on to it.