Oil Pump Gear pics and info inside

My 2015 350RR hit 108 hours so I figured it was oil pump gear time and I am glad I did!

I am doing clutch discs, billet water pump kit, and fixing my starter issue (one way sprag failed) but wanted to share my thoughts.

My gears were sharper/worn more than I expected, and one new thing I had not read about was the idler gear dragging on the machined area it rides on. Upon removing the bottom (actual oil pump gear) and jsut turning the idler gear by hand it was about 5 times harder to spin that I would have expected. Slid the new steel gear wit brass bushing on and it spins nice and perfect! Its clear to me that the old plastic idler was probably slightly distorted or out of round, and there is no bearing or anything, just plastic riding on a machined boss.

See pics below. 3rd pic is the counter balance shaft alignment dots if you have never seen them. 

Ohh and the Boana/Beta hi flow water pump upgrade required some clearancing of the water pump cover to fit. It hits the header pipe, but nothing a little die grinder didn't fix.

20170426_202746.jpg

20170426_203222.jpg

20170426_202740.jpg

20170426_203044.jpg

Edited by vwprostock
  • Like 4

I totally agree. After replacing mine I was astounded at how poorly the plastic gears fit on the shafts and run in general.

The steel gears fit/work like they should and that much alone was worth it to me.

Pix from my '17 500 when I did it around 4 hrs.

20161218_145455-1.jpg

20161218_150304-1.jpg

• Like 3

Ohh and the Boana/Beta hi flow water pump upgrade required some clearancing of the water pump cover to fit. It hits the header pipe, but nothing a little die grinder didn't fix.

do you have any pics of this mod. water pump upgrade sounds like a good idea while doing the oil pump gears

1 hour ago, randysoo said:

do you have any pics of this mod. water pump upgrade sounds like a good idea while doing the oil pump gears

Here's a link to the high capacity waterpump parts from BetaUSA website. It's pretty straight forward. There are some good pix on the site.

I thought about doing it but decided to wait and see how hot/cold my engine runs in my riding conditions. If it looks to run hot a fair bit I will probably do this later. So far it seems to run on the cool side most of the time.

Well Dan you were smart when doing your gears. First time I replaced mine the kickstarter awl spring came unraveled and parts wen everywhere!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ktm300 said:

I need to do the gears, are they a Beta part ?

It depends on whether or not your model of Beta is a 3 gear or 2 gear model, as your signature does not list your Beta. Price is different for the 2 models

Sierra Motorcycle Supply got me mine in a 2 weeks, they did come from Boano in a Beta factory bag :facepalm:

The steel gears are nice but at that price I'll fit another set of plastic gears at 200 hrs. 

3 minutes ago, MartyMOOSE said:

The steel gears are nice but at that price I'll fit another set of plastic gears at 200 hrs. 

Based on how my idler gear felt I wouldn't....the variability of plastic scares me more now. That idler could tighten up more and super accelerate the wear without you knowing it. Just my opinion. I am happy to now think I don't have to think about oil pump gears...ever.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, vwprostock said:

Based on how my idler gear felt I wouldn't....the variability of plastic scares me more now. That idler could tighten up more and super accelerate the wear without you knowing it. Just my opinion. I am happy to now think I don't have to think about oil pump gears...ever.

I have a 15 rs 500 and just did the steel gears last week at 85 hours. My plastic ones looked fine, I'm glad I don't have to worry about it anymore and I was careful removing case after reading ballistexchris' warning about the kicksart assy.

• Like 2

Here are more pics as I had to button it up tonight. The clutch basket I got was the wrong one. Different outer gear diameter. Cross checking the number its a 2016 X-trainer basket if anyone needs one.

Water pump is pretty simple. I don't know if you can get the nut off the impeller without removing the inner clutch cover but in the one pic you can see the hex drive that you can hold on the other side if you have the inner cover off. Process is pretty simple. Drain coolant, remove pump cover, remove impeller, install billet impeller, clearance cover in my case, re-install cover using supplied billet spacer and longer bolts, refill with coolant.

20170428_221139.jpg

20170428_222554.jpg

20170428_222557.jpg

20170428_223109.jpg

• Like 1