2017 RR 300 knock and die at decel help

Morning all,

My 2017 RR 300 make some knocking sounds and sometimes die at decel, I understood this might come from the bike running to lean?

I am at 0-1000 with 80-100f temperature and high humidity. I was running stock jetting but now changed main to 162 and needle to N2ZJ number 2 clip, air screw at 2.5 turns out. Idling seems fine to work better but did not test this new setting off road yet.

Not sure i did the right thing though, any advise will be appreciated

Kindly

i had similar problems with mine in the end i had the float height set properly and then had the bike set up on a dyno and it transformed the bike and also can get just under 3hrs out of a tank of fuel when racing before i was lucky to get 2 hours.the money spent on the dyno who also did the float is money well spent.

• Like 1

Does it sound like this at the 1:08 Mark?

If so, float is too high. I eliminated by lower my float a little bit. Something around 1mm.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FUHL said:

Does it sound like this at the 1:08 Mark?

If so, float is too high. I eliminated by lower my float a little bit. Something around 1mm.

Hello FUHL,

Yes, although a bit less I must say... Could you guide me to the correct procedure of lowering the float?

Thanks buddy,

Oran

4 hours ago, Afterhours07083 said:

Hi Oran, here is a document with pretty good detail on how to lower the float.  You need to be careful, but it's pretty simple.  

https://docs.google.com/document/d/17WxYZYcOg-ciOMezK4fVRx34II-JXZknhyTsCvXH8eI/pub#h.kf69d620du6

This link should go straight to the carb section:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/17WxYZYcOg-ciOMezK4fVRx34II-JXZknhyTsCvXH8eI/pub#h.2dgqmpymj14g

This is a great document, and a service to us all.

Edited by Old Plonker
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Old Plonker said:

This link should go straight to the carb section:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/17WxYZYcOg-ciOMezK4fVRx34II-JXZknhyTsCvXH8eI/pub#h.2dgqmpymj14g

This is a great document, and a service to us all.

I did not create this document.  John Geronimo X did.  He has since sold his XT and abandoned the document.  He said he would pass it on to someone, but he has not replied to my facebook PM so I am using and posting without his permission.  I think he'll be ok with this, but I'd like to hear it from him.  In the meantime, I'm not editing it, just providing a link and giving him credit.  It is a wonderful document that will provide value in some way to every XT owner that comes across it.  

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Afterhours07083 said:

I did not create this document.  John Geronimo X did.  He has since sold his XT and abandoned the document.  He said he would pass it on to someone, but he has not replied to my facebook PM so I am using and posting without his permission.  I think he'll be ok with this, but I'd like to hear it from him.  In the meantime, I'm not editing it, just providing a link and giving him credit.  It is a wonderful document that will provide value in some way to every XT owner that comes across it.  

John Geronimo X, whoever you are, thank you sir. It is a treasure. I even found a quote by myself. I hope you find a way to keep this accessible online. And thank you AfterHours for sharing it here.

Edited by Old Plonker
  • Like 1

So shell i go back to standard jet and needle settings?

Float Height should be the first step in carb adjustments. Since you already changed it I would leave the Jetting for now. Drop the float a bit then go from there.

Edited by FUHL
  • Like 1

Finally looked at my float after too long and adjusted it to close a bit sooner.  Significantly less pipe bang out.  Should have looked into it when the bike was new but was too lazy.

• Like 1

So I did the float, put back the 165 main but keep the N2ZJ second clip on. Air screw 2 out.

The bike is more responsive and over all works better, idling also works better.

More smoke is coming out then before but I think because the sensor was not alligned correctly. 

There is still some 'bang', and wanted to know if this is normal (new to 2T)

Thanks