xr200 rebuild - still smoking?

Thanks in advance guys. Just re-did an 01 xr200. New valves and seals. New piston and rings that are 67mm and gaskets. Started on third kick after rebuild but continues to smoke after you have throttle up a little and back to idle and crack throttle again. Did not replace valve guides?? Gonna tear back down and check valve seals as it acts like that. Have heard of head gasket issues?? Nice little bike as I have a cr125 front end and an xr250 rear shock. Any other ideas are greatly appreciated.

How bad was it smoking before (how much oil was left in the exhaust system)?  How much have you ran it and when does it smoke?  You need to run it awhile and get the exhaust good and hot to burn out assembly oil, and to burn out oil left in the exhaust from before.  These engines are not hard on valve guides, and guides rarely need replaced.  As for valve seals, they contribute only lightly to smoking, usually at start up after sitting .  Serious smoking is a ring/cyl problem.................oil getting by the rings into the combustion chamber!

Old School Al

Was it burning oil before the rebuild? A lot of times there is oil left in the exhaust from before the rebuild that needs to burn out. When I rebuilt my first XR200 it smoked pretty bad  & I was disappointed after spending all that time & money on the rebuild.  It took 2-3 hrs for all the oil to burn out of the exhaust.

Will advise to be careful with 67mm piston. I will not go larger than 66 with stock sleeve as the sleeve breaks and will destroy rest of engine. Also second about old oil buildup in exhaust. Takes a while to burn that out.

Are your sure you installed and gapped the wrings correctly? I'm thinking that maybe you should idle it with a fan in front of the engine, and let the rings "wear in". If it still smokes heavily, then check the valve guides. I have ran my xr200 without any valve guide seals and the smoke is very minimal. The synthetic oil does not burn like conventional oil. I only use Mobil1 10w40 4t full synthetic JASO motorcycle oil; O'Reilly's for about $11 per quart. I have also used Rotella synthetic 15w40 6t also. Both work great, and are big help for the RFVC engines.

Edited by HomerDodd

I've rebuilt several xr200's and they all smoke for couple hours afterwards. I thought it was seals first time too. Last one I did not have time to break it in before the Iron Man poker run in Odessa, it's smoked like crazy for the first couple miles and then went away. I had lots of people flagging me down to let me know, ha ha.