what Is this white plastic "bell thing" in my carb

I know most of you have had your 230f carb apart so can anyone educate me on what the white plastic "bell" thing is? What's it there for? Is it really necessary? 

Honda calls it a "jet holder"

Edited by CRF150/230

Naw... Throw it away... There is a lot of junk parts on the bike that don't do anything...

Either that, or it's meant as a baffle to prevent main jet fuel aeration over rough terrain, and should be left in...

If you don't ride rough terrain with your dirt bike you can save .0037 ounce and throw it away

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mixxer said:

Naw... Throw it away... There is a lot of junk parts on the bike that don't do anything...

Either that, or it's meant as a baffle to prevent main jet fuel aeration over rough terrain, and should be left in...

If you don't ride rough terrain with your dirt bike you can save .0037 ounce and throw it away

Wow, well thanks for the reply.......I guess

I asked a question that I didn't know the answer to, I didn't think I was going to be made to feel like an idiot. 

• Like 1

Well, you got a solid answer...

But you posed the question in such a way that I couldn't resist....

"I found a piece that was designed, manufactured and included by highly trained engineers... But even though I don't have any idea what it is, I'm not sure if it's necessary"

You are connected to the internet... Obviously... The collective knowledge database of all mankind right at your fingertips.... A cursory search would have produced an answer without a grumpy old man being involved....

This site is great.. and not everyone is a grumpy old man who used to walk 10 miles uphill in snowstorms to read info off parchment in dead barely translatable languages in the library...

• Like 4

Sarcasm is usually my middle name, but basically, it was designed and put there so the main jet will stay immersed in fuel when bouncing around on rough uneven, off camber, terrain. Add a few jumps, drop offs, wheelies and big "G"force tight turns to the mix, it's easy to imagine how fuel might not stay in the location for the main jet to get the fuel supply that it requires to keep your bike making the power required to propel itself forward with out missing, cutting out and generally causing you to say "This bike runs like a POS"

Hopefully this helps?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CRF150/230 said:

I asked a question that I didn't know the answer to, I didn't think I was going to be made to feel like an idiot. 

Some background on your question, grumpy old men, and others on the site:

• Your question was asked recently in another thread.
  • As we get older and grumpier we lose our ability to suppress satirical humor, and I qualify by age.
  • This site has a diverse range of expertise so there will often be a variety of answers, be patient. 
  • Welcome to probably the best forum on TT.

• Like 2

See... 

This is an awesome forum... Made awesome ... No satire here... By guys like Chuck and Guy... 

They have matured , while I have grizzled...

I'm on the east side of the USA...

They get up later than I do... More Western location... It's unfortunate timing of posting that let's me get to the new threads before they wake up...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chuck. said:

Some background on your question, grumpy old men, and others on the site

• As we get older and grumpier we lose our ability to suppress satirical humor, and I qualify by age.

Say it isn't so, Chuck...

"Losing ability to suppress"

I thought I was just getting better at it with practice...

Now I can't take any credit... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mixxer said:

Say it isn't so, Chuck...

"Losing ability to suppress"

I thought I was just getting better at it with practice...

Now I can't take any credit... 

I can still remember "Practice makes perfect". :thumbsup:

I would prefer not to discuss the issues of old age. :banghead:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CRF150/230 said:

Don't let the technocratic overthink rattle you.  It goes with the territory.  They're a good bunch of characters here.  Welcome to the forum.  

Iv'e been running an XR250 for years without it but it has a pumper carb so it's less affected.  

If you have the nylon slosh baffle, I would definitely leave it it in for violent terrain.  Also, if it gets loose you can heat the tabs and bend them inward very, very carefully. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baja Rambler said:

Don't let the technocratic overthink rattle you.  It goes with the territory.  They're a good bunch of characters here.  Welcome to the forum.  

Iv'e been running an XR250 for years without it but it has a pumper carb so it's less affected.  

If you have the nylon slosh baffle, I would definitely leave it it in for violent terrain.  Also, if it gets loose you can heat the tabs and bend them inward very, very carefully. 

I don't see a need to heat the tabs to hold it in place, other than if the carb is still on the bike and the bowl off.  The bowl holds it in place when mounted.

IMG_2048.thumb.JPG.b41dcd609789f53e7d5621ca677ef193.JPGIMG_2046.thumb.JPG.01e0faf1c2e21ca04225f290e5113f97.JPGIMG_2045.thumb.JPG.1dc2ef590489558b4d7183bea3efb312.JPG

IMG_2047.JPG

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chuck. said:

Welcome to probably the best forum on TT.

Agreed :thumbsup:  The knowledge and expertise here is second to none.  Thanks for being so generous with it.

10 minutes ago, NEODS said:

I don't see a need to heat the tabs to hold it in place, other than if the carb is still on the bike and the bowl off.  The bowl holds it in place when mounted.

IMG_2048.thumb.JPG.b41dcd609789f53e7d5621ca677ef193.JPGIMG_2046.thumb.JPG.01e0faf1c2e21ca04225f290e5113f97.JPGIMG_2045.thumb.JPG.1dc2ef590489558b4d7183bea3efb312.JPG

IMG_2047.JPG

That's true, once it's together.

Without it, gas would slosh upwards, on a bumpy trail, and the bike would miss. A problem with old bikes that didn't have features like this.

Thanks so much for the information gentleman! 

For the record I'm an old guy too, but fortunately for me and others around me as  got older i learned to respect people.

I really do appreciate the information! 

Thanks to those that took the to explain it to me.

I went 25 years without throwing my leg over a dirt bike. Now in my 50's I'm back in the saddle again and loving it.This is a great site with a lot of great information and I appreciate the information that is available. 

The older I get, the less I care for people in general....

Also, the respect thing is way overblown.

... I am old enough that I remember a time when respect was earned instead of immediately granted ...

I did provide a correct answer in the very first post...  But, I stand by what I said on the nature in which the first question was asked... Which has since been edited...

Lol, jeez move on man. Social interaction clearly is not your strong suit, maybe you should step away from the computer for a little while. And you have definitely NOT earned my respect. Just move on.

And no I didn't edit anything out of my original post, I corrected a spelling error. 

Lol, jeez move on man. Social interaction clearly is not your strong suit, maybe you should step away from the computer for a little while. And you have definitely NOT earned my respect. Just move on.

And no I didn't edit anything out of my original post, I corrected a spelling error. 

Easy there big fellow...

Mixxer has has forgot more expertise and knowledge about motor bike "engines" than I (personally) could possibly ever even learn. I'm not finished absorbing by any stretch of the word.

So he apologized (believe it or not) and is not asking for yours or any one else's respect.

Step back a few steps and absorb some learnings.

There is much to absorb in this particular section of TT. It is well known to be Extremely passionate and informative at the same time. It's obviously not everyone's cup of tea after they stop by for a visit.

As I stated earlier today, I was doing my very best to be helpful for you and all other readers that need the same question answered....again.

Since this same exact question has came up AT LEAST three times in the last two months) and personally, haven't taken the time to answer any of the others until today.

Trust me it gets frustrating and can wear on a person. Ask any regular on this form, most will agree that for "many" of us, we have all been there and done that. Of course there are exceptions...

The way I see it, many new folks out there in TT land will stop by this Forum post there question or opinion on an issue, then want instant gratification and seem to "require" or even "expect" an answer right now.

Not saying that's you of course but there are a lot of those that make some of us get that impression.

What we have all learned is "most" of the questions about 150f -230f's have been asked at least 12 dozen times (minimum) since the 230f arrived on the showroom floor in 2002.

What I'm trying to say is every single question and answer is still on TT since day one.

All it takes is a simple search for what your looking for and you will have enough opinions and right or wrong (depending on opinions) answers to your question for a weeks worth of your time reading all about it for hours and hours per day. You will hopefully study your issue and take in the reasonable answers/opinions/personal experience to make up your own mind what is right and will work for you.

I apologize (in advance?) because week after week after week the same questions get asked over and over and over by folks that demand an immediate answer and don't want to bother with a "search"

We all have good and bad days. Hopefully more good and helpful days than not.

But do chime in and share with us, your opinions and experiences. I'm sure that we can learn from you also.

And welcome to the Forum.

Don't listen to these clowns,,its there to keep fuel in the main jet in the bowl so fuel slosh doesn't cause air bubbles..

No, it's really there to make people ask questions,
To fall off and get lost,
To make the bike weigh more,
To make it a lot harder to re-install the float bowl after removal.
And as 1 great builder stated, more than once, to make the engine run leaner....

That's: "Smart Ass Clowns"