Questions on cleaner

So I am about to help a buddy deep clean his bike before we rip it apart and fix it. It's got dirt places it shouldn't, and has some old grease and grime that needs to be cleaned off, he has recently replaced a gasket, I recommended gunk, but got to thinking, because my bikes are always clean, I really dont ever have to use anything like that, and haven't. Is there any chance it would destroy his gaskets that don't need replaced quite yet? Any other products you'd reccomend? Best, thanks for the help guys, this is something I actually just haven't had to run into. All opinions aprectiated.

I used easy off over cleaner, the yellow can, with a small scrub brush. Wear gloves that stuff burns your skin. Then brake cleaner for the easier stuff. I wouldn't reuse any gasket if he's having problems with leaks anyway. Get a gasket kit, do it right and do it once.

• Like 1

I used easy off over cleaner, the yellow can, with a small scrub brush. Wear gloves that stuff burns your skin. Then brake cleaner for the easier stuff. I wouldn't reuse any gasket if he's having problems with leaks anyway. Get a gasket kit, do it right and do it once.

He just replaced all his gaskets it's not leaking he just hasn't maintained it and it needs a good cleaning were going in to do other work
I like Simple Green for a degreaser in the hard to reach places. Its fairly mild but still works great.

Would gunk destroy new gaskets?

Cleaning it won't hurt the gaskets. You would need something extremely corrosive to damage anything.

• Like 2