Can't find a rack for my bike

I've had my wr400 for about three years now and am getting ready to take a 5 day trek through the OBDR in June. Two years ago I did a 3 day ride with these same saddle bags, and while they worked well the pressure they put on the side number plates (especially on the exhaust side) was just too much. And because nobody makes a good steel rack (pro-moto billet is just too pricey, and aluminum) I decided to take a shot at building my own. I do have a welding and fab background so I went for it. Thought I would get some input from you vets and see if you notice any issues with what I'm doing. Still a work in progress, but I think it's coming along nicely. IMG_0878.JPGIMG_0881.JPGIMG_0882.JPGIMG_0880.JPG

Thanks for looking

• Like 1

Look great man. Just two concerns and you probably already looked into it. Is that going to be too much weight on the frame with it bouncing causing the frame to twist and bend? And you rear right blinker is it not to close to the pipe to melt? Other then that I like it a lot.

Look great man. Just two concerns and you probably already looked into it. Is that going to be too much weight on the frame with it bouncing causing the frame to twist and bend? And you rear right blinker is it not to close to the pipe to melt? Other then that I like it a lot.

When you say frame do you mean the side rack frames or the subframe? The side racks won't be supporting much downward weight as the saddle bags are attached to each other and drape over the seat and the forward most part of the fender. So the side frames there are mostly for support to keep the bags from coming in towards my tire.
That blinker has been taking it like a champ for two years. Lol but I plan on getting a set of tusk flush mount led signals and hopefully they will be out of the firing range of that pipe. Lol
Thanks for the input bro

When you say frame do you mean the side rack frames or the subframe? The side racks won't be supporting much downward weight as the saddle bags are attached to each other and drape over the seat and the forward most part of the fender. So the side frames there are mostly for support to keep the bags from coming in towards my tire.
That blinker has been taking it like a champ for two years. Lol but I plan on getting a set of tusk flush mount led signals and hopefully they will be out of the firing range of that pipe. Lol
Thanks for the input bro

Oh nice, I was worried about subframe with the additional weight and only having a few points of contact. But this makes more sense. And glad to hear it about the light I'm looking into a km 690r and apparently it does the same.

Oh nice, I was worried about subframe with the additional weight and only having a few points of contact. But this makes more sense. And glad to hear it about the light I'm looking into a km 690r and apparently it does the same.

Honestly, I am a little worried about the weight on the subframe. That's why I have the bags so far forward. Hopefully it won't be an issue. I thought about doing some gussets on the areas that look like they might need it, but I've never welded chrome-moly so I'm not sure about that.

Honestly, I am a little worried about the weight on the subframe. That's why I have the bags so far forward. Hopefully it won't be an issue. I thought about doing some gussets on the areas that look like they might need it, but I've never welded chrome-moly so I'm not sure about that.

I haven't either. Just a steel arc welder myself. I don't remember if it is or not but if the subframe is solid then you should be fine, if it's not then probably no more then a little gas cloths and a tent 30lbs max and easy on the whoops and pot holes