Down to the wire, RM85 big wheel or lowered YZ125

First I would like to say to everyone, thanks for helping me kick around my hair brained schemes and ideas.  Much to your horror, there are more, but, for now, I only have one delima.

I am trying to figure out a good trail bike 2 stroke.  I don't hill climb so I don't need much, buuuuuut, I do need something with good low end power.  Yes, I know low end power on a 2 stroke is kind of irrelevant, but, I get bored on the 4 stroke dump the clutch and go ride.  I like to play with the clutch "a little". 

Anywhoo. my choices have come down to a brand new 2016 RM85 small wheel or a used 2006+ YZ125 (if I can find one for a "normal" price).  I hear the RM85's have great low end torque for a 85 but I always hear 125's have NOTHING down low.  Does that mean the RM85 has more low end than a 125??  Things that make you go hmmmm.....  Second issue is size, aka height.  I can get the RM 85 small wheel and put the big wheel kit I have on it, as that would get me to where my CR80RB is height wise, or, get the YZ125 and lace some 19F/16R rims on her to drop it down.  Seeing as how I LOVE the height of the CR80RB, I am trying to make, Frankenstein, or what have you something to match the CR80RB height.  Third thing is that I do want to try to lower the foot pegs on the CR80RB, or, whatever bike I get after that one.  Just a tad bit cramped as is on the CR80RB, and, knowing they are for a smaller person than 5' 9", understandable stock.  Lastly, thinking of the 125, just wondering how much bigger (frame and wheel base) it is than a cr80RB?  I know what the measurements say on google, but, I can throw the CR80RB around the trails and it is fun and doesn't take a lot of energy.  Even with all the lowering and such on the 125, is that going to be too bulky to have fun in the tight tight areas, which is mostly whats around.  Lots of small log jumping, 5 foot tall by 4 foot placement of saplings to zig zag through (easily done with the CR80 I have) and other small maneuverable objects.

What do you all think?  I need an answer by 11am Friday as I go by the Suzuki dealer on the way home from a work project, ha ha ha.  Oie vey!      

Edited by sikpupy

I would go 125 2 stroke all day everyday over an 85 but if your a shorter rider then a yz125 would not be a great choice because the yz's are 2 inches taller than any of the other brands. I would recommend a 2003-2008 RM125 or a 2000-2007 CR125 and if you still need an lower seat height just put a lowering link on the linkage and slide your forks up in the triple clamps to lower the front of the bike. I personally love rm's and ride a 250 in the woods I'm 5'10" 125 pounds. Any 125 2 stroke dose not have very much low end but it's enough for most everything and they are very flickable and feel light.

Without knowing your height/weight I'd say 125, most likely regardless. But if you really like 85s, well ride on man, if that's what you like. 125 would be more versatile though. It sounds like you already have an 80 though. 2 strokes have plenty of bottom end, 125s and 80s don't because well, their only 125 and 80cc's, nothing that size has bottom end, 2 stroke or 4. crf80/125 kind of does but nothing else. 4 strokes don't make more torque, that age old saying only comes from the double displacement rule. Of course a 450f has more torque than a 250 2 stroke it's compared to, it's nearly double the engine size.same goes for the 250f/125 2t comparison. 250f vs 250 2t, the 2t easily has more torque down low.those were all bigger examples of course.Stick to the 2strokes if that's what you like:thumbsup:

A "torquey" 85cc won't have as much as a 125 (which doesn't have much to begin with)

the 125's dis-advantage is that it has a full sized frame to move around versus a mini

but in return you also get more suspension travel and ground clearance with a full-sized bike.

If you are 5'6" and over forget a mini (even big-wheeled 19/16 versions) as you're too big,

the ergonomics (relationship of bars, seat and pegs) is too cramped and forces you to sit further back / upsetting the balance of the chassis.

• Like 2

On 4/30/2017 at 0:37 PM, shrubitup said:

Get the 125. Don't obsess over brand/year. Buy based on condition and value. 

That sounds like some decent advise, thanks shrubitup.